PDA

View Full Version : Good-quality twin bedding (comforter, sheets) for toddlers that isn't expensive??

MarinaTwinMom
11-11-2002, 10:55 PM
Okay, I'm still looking for some decent twin-bed-sized bedding (comforters and sheets) for my toddlers.

Does anyone know of a good-quality brand of bedding that isn't horribly expensive? If nothing else, maybe I can buy some good-quality comforters and then get some plain 100% cotton sheets to match at J.C. Penney.

vsmommy123
01-10-2003, 12:13 AM
I also saw your post on Company Store quilts, which was of interest to me as I am considering buying a "LaCrosse" twin size down comforter for my dd. She is not even in the twin size bed yet but I too have issues on bedding quality. I don't want to spend a fortune but want something decent that will be comfortable to sleep on and will last a few years. I noticed that Mervyn's and Target do not have very nice quality sheets (50% poly/50% cot - like sandpaper!) and twin sheets at dept. stores are sort of hard to come by. I did notice the other day at Bed Bath and Beyond they had a nice Nautica sheet in several plain colors for $9.99 each piece. I think it was over 200 thread ct. and all cotton. I made a note of that as so far that is the best that I've seen. Maybe you have done research on down comforters - am I going to be able to find duvet covers for a twin size one? Maybe that is why you are looking into the quilts. Also if you have any Marshall's, TJ Maxx, etc. sometimes you can find decent stuff.
Good luck!

MarinaTwinMom
01-11-2003, 03:05 AM
Hello!

We finally decided to order our kids a couple of quilts from The Company Store. One has butterflies on it, and the other has emergency vehicles. They haven't arrived yet, but when they do, I'll post to let everyone know what we think of them (quality, etc.). :)

Those down comforters look pretty wonderful, too. Unfortunately, DS has some allergy issues, so we're steering away from down.

I saw those Nautica sheets last week at Bed, Bath, and Beyond. They do look very nice, and they came in colors that will match the quilts we're buying, too! Our local store also had a few other kinds of sheets that seemed like they'd work for us. (I have not been impressed with the sheets I've seen at Penney's and Target. Penney's does have some 100% cotton sheets, but in "dusty" colors that won't match the quilts.)

MarinaTwinMom
01-14-2003, 07:25 PM
The quilts arrived early this week.

I was EXTREMELY disappointed in the quality of one of the quilts (with an emergency vehicles theme, for my DS) and the matching throw pillow. The quilt and pillow both had quilting that was very, very poorly done. Numerous threads were left dangling without knots, and other threads were knotted with great big knots on top of the quilt (this is white thread on blue and red fabric, so it really shows). We're talking every foot or so, all over the top of the quilt. In some areas, quilting that was supposed to be straight actually veered off at odd angles, then came back to being straight (apparently when the seamstress noticed she'd started to sew crooked). I honestly can't believe how poorly the quilt was made. The pillow also had fabric that had been sewn together by machine, then ripped out and resewn (so the holes from the machining show on the front of the pillow). Ugh.

I wouldn't pay $20 for that quilt, much less the $73.99 they charged (or the $149 list price). Unfortunately, I'm going to end up being out more than $20 total for shipping costs if I return the quilt. :( :(

The other quilt and sham (in a spring butterfly pattern, for DD) looks much better. I'm a bit disappointed that it says line dry only, though. Where on earth am I going to find room to line dry a twin quilt?? I imagine we'll be washing it a lot, considering that it's for a toddler.

So ... we're definitely going to return the one quilt and pillow. We may end up returning the other one, too, as line drying just isn't practical for something that big that will have to be washed that often. What really gets me is that we're going to be out all the $$ for shipping.

I would not order from The Company Store again.

vsmommy123
01-14-2003, 08:47 PM
Sorry to hear about the quality of those quilts! I was already wary of CS (company store) stuff because I bought a set of cotton/tencel jersey sheets - which are waaaay too stretchy and impossible to make the bed, and a set of fancy flannel sheets w/ the lace-like edging on the flat sheet. That quality isn't so great either, and feels thinner than it should be. Plus the fitted sheets for both fit horribly, for a queen size bed.
I recommend calling CS's customer service and really expressing your disappointment and they would probably offer to send you a return authorization for the return goods.
Definitely washability is a must have for whatever I purchase (quilt, down comforter, etc.) since I expect to wash it a fair amount. I could have bought a down comforter on overstocks.com but it said "dry clean only" and decided against it. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Tondi G
01-17-2003, 06:56 PM
Honestly.... I know they can be expensive but I bought crib bedding from Pottery barn Kids and they are GREAT!!!! The sheets are soft after washing and have held up well.... nice prints/themes, quilts, duvets!They often have sales as well.... by mail and in stores... you can also find a lot of stuff on e-bay! I plan on buying bedding from them when my son moves to a big boy bed probably sometime after his 2nd birthday in July cause I like their crib bedding so much! Good Luck.... hope you find bedding that works for you!

~Tondi and Mason 7/8/01!

Jennifer
01-23-2003, 11:19 AM
Have you tried Potterybarnkids.com. They often have really good clearance prices and the sheets are really nice.

khakismom
01-28-2003, 04:03 PM
Yes, they can be expensive, but I just bought sheets, bed skirt, shams, and a comforter for my DD's big-girl double bed from Pottery Barn Kids and they are the softest sheets ever! Just fabulous--and they have a great selection for kids. Or, have you tried the Martha Stewart Everyday line at Kmart? There are really cute comforters and sheet sets that are 200 thread count and won't break your bank (like PBK! ;) ). Bed, Bath and Beyond also has some very cute kid bedding.

Good luck! HTH

...Maureen

Kathleen 3/22/01
#2 EDD 6/12/03

sweetbasil
02-22-2003, 02:59 AM
Hi~
We got DS's bedding on eBay- it's all Pottery Barn Kids, all new in package, and I saved a TON, instead of buying it off the PBK website. HTH!

MarinaTwinMom
03-09-2003, 09:23 PM
Just thought I'd post an update. We ended up buying a comforter set and accessories for DS (in a fire engine print) from Bed, Bath, & Beyond, and a comforter and accessories (in a flowered print) for DD from Land's End. I think they're going to like them. :) :)