PDA

View Full Version : Help with transition to "Big Boy Bed"

rwd72
03-31-2003, 10:55 AM
We are execting our second son in May and need the crib from our first son who is 2.4 years old. We have purchased a twin bed, box spring, and frame and placed it in the corner of his room where his crib was. We moved the crib across the room. We bought Big Boy Buzz Light Year sheets, comforter, and pillow. We have talked it up for two months. His grandparents, friends, and other family members talk about the Big Boy Bed all the time. HE IS NOT INTERESTED!!! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Renee
Mom to Sean 12/12/00 & expecting
Baby Boy #2 5/03

brubeck
03-31-2003, 02:32 PM
The bed may be too high off the floor. Try putting JUST the mattress on the floor and see if he is more comfortable with that.

Another thing that helped with my daughter was I left the mattress in her play area when it was about naptime. I shut the gate and left her there. She walked all over the mattress (she enjoyed the bouncy feel) and when she went to sleep she laid down on the mattress instead of the floor.

It also helped that she LOVES pillows. I showed her how the big bed came with a big pillow and she was VERY eager to sleep with that.

Does your son ever snuggle with you in your bed? I don't mean a family bed sleeping arrangement, but one of our bedtime rituals is that my daughter and I will watch TV together on the master bed before she goes off to her own room. She quickly recognized that Mama and Dada do not sleep in a crib and that their bed is quite comfy. She also got used to snuggling under the covers (no blanket in the crib). This is another way you could try to get him interested.

Just some thoughts, hope they help!

rwd72
03-31-2003, 09:39 PM
Thank you for those suggestions. I really never gave the height of the bed much thought. I assumed he would make a quick transition and be safe with the railing.

Our bedtime ritual consists of bath, brushing teeth, reading a book and then off to bed. Maybe reading to him in his big bed would be a nice change.

Thanks again!
Renee