PDA

View Full Version : IKEA--good quality?

tracy in japan
08-30-2003, 09:18 AM
Hi! I love IKEA, but I live in Japan, so have not actually bought furniture there. I have some friends moving to Chicago and suggested IKEA might be a good place to buy some new furniture. Are the bunkbeds good quality? What about other pieces of furniture? Any thoughts?

THanks!
Tracy

lazo
09-19-2003, 01:36 PM
we love ikea! all of our bedroom, all my dd nursery (except the crib & rocking chair), all of the stuff in our guest room, our dining room table & chairs, lots of various storage solutions, some rugs, as well as all the stuff going into my toddlers new bedroom came from ikea. it's definitely not heirloom quality, but you get a ton of cool style at a reasonable price. and if you have small children you don't want to spend a ton of money on something that could get ruined. if my dd decides she wants to put stickers all over her dresser, it's not going to be a problem.

NAmama
10-23-2003, 07:07 AM
I like IKEA, too. I agree with the previous poster, that it's not heirloom quality, but it's very inexpensive and you get great design features. You can do a whole kids room very creatively (check out their new PS designs) with great storage for the price of one headboard at Pottery Barn! The pieces are really adaptable. We have a pieces that we bought when we were first married and they still work in new ways in new spaces, although, we wondered if we'd ever be able to afford furniture we didn't assemble ourselves! And despite not being heirloom, they have survived several moves (partly because they are so easy to take apart and re-pack flat). They also focus on safety features for kids which is nice and I like that they use wood that has been sustainable harvested.

Jackie mom of Shanna Bahe and Joneya