PDA

View Full Version : Twin Mattress

czollmann
11-02-2003, 08:09 PM
For those of you who have purchased or are in the process of purchasing a twin mattress for your toddler, what did you chose? I find the choices overwhelming... firm, plush, serta, sealy, expensive, cheap, etc.... Does anyone have some good words of advise? My DS (21 months) can't exactly tell me what he would prefer so it is a hard decision for us.

Thanks for your help!
Carol

Melanie
11-03-2003, 03:40 AM
We're looking right now, too. We found one (Sealy I think) which has something called KidCare. Supposedly it's good for their backs and has some type of anti-allergen cover.

sweetbasil
11-23-2003, 10:21 AM
Other than the crib mattress, we're a Serta family ourselves. We had a Sealy several years ago that didn't last at all, and became uncomfortable pretty quickly. But I'd imagine that for a toddler weighing only 20-30#, they wouldn't wear one out too quickly :)

Sam's Warehouse carries twin mattresses- we just got another a few weeks ago for $75 (another Serta), and they also sell frames (you might check their website for pricing on a frame).

Good luck,

Yvette
11-23-2003, 10:27 PM
I too am shopping for a mattress. In fact we just bought a Sealy, plush. It was most comfortable to me, but I seem to recall something about not getting a bed too soft for toddlers? So I'm a little worried. I'm not sure if that means that a plush is too soft but the firm ones seemed so hard. Anyone know? I hope that it will last through HS though.

My cousin bought a Simmons backcare with a bunky board.

Melanie
11-26-2003, 05:51 PM
We ended up getting the Simmons KidCare (BackCare) one. It is creme w/ moons & stars and is a pillow-top. I mention the color b/c there's also a blue one. The creme is supposed to have some type of allergen-detering fibre (yeah, I know, they just sold me ocean-front property in Arizona).

I really know nothing about the difference in quality amongst the big name mattresses, they just suckered me in b/c it was specially made for kids. =)

Just make sure you are getting the size you want (regular vs. Low profile). They delivered the low-profile to us and then the scum salesman tries to tell Dh that's just how they are made. Whatever, don't mess with me. Let's just say they are delivering the right mattress next week and we are using the shorter one in the meantime. It's actually a good height for Ds to climb up onto now, the other one he'll have to work a little harder at).

I find the combo of the bunkbed-height on the boxspring a bit firm for my taste, but I grew up on a waterbed so EVERYTHING is a bit firm for my taste.

Another odd thing, they're making them with just one-side now so you don't have to (& can't) flip them. Now that would have been handy when we purchased our Cal. King last year, but for Ds' Full mattress, it doesn't really make a difference.