PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have a Full bed for their little one?

Melanie
11-03-2003, 03:42 AM
We're thinking of skipping the twin and just getting a full bed. Currently we co-sleep so I was thinking full would be good if one of us needs to lay down with him to transition him to his own bed, plus if genetics count for anything, he's going to be tall. Dh had a twin-long when he was a kid.

brubeck
11-03-2003, 10:30 AM
We use a full bed for my daughter and have since we transitioned her to a big girl bed at 18 months. We did it for 2 reasons: 1) we thought that she would be less likely to roll out of a wider bed and 2) we had a full bed lying around (it was mine in my bachelorette days).

Other than not being able to purchase character bedding (which is no great loss, IMHO) it has worked out well. However a Full bed is NOT longer than a Twin bed. Believe it or not I think you actually have to go us to a King size (or an XL Twin) to get a longer mattress. My 6'3" husband certainly noticed that the Queen was shorter than his old XL Twin!

Regardless, my daughter loves her bed and enjoys jumping on it as well as sleeping. :)

Melanie
11-03-2003, 11:04 PM
Wow...well, he can sleep on a diagonal. LOL.

Ds is also a big sleeper, so that's another part of the reason. I don't care about character bedding, but I'd like to find something juvenile...

Thanks

trumansmom
11-04-2003, 05:59 PM
We just got Truman a full sized bed a couple of weeks ago, and for the very reason you mentioned. The adjustment from co-sleeping to his bed hasn't been all that easy. So far there has only been one night out of the past two weeks that one of us hasn't spent a significant portion of the night with him, so I'm really, really glad we didn't get a twin.

Good luck!

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/29/01 and EDD 4/23/04!

brubeck
11-04-2003, 09:21 PM
If you want kiddie bedding for a full and you can't find anything, you can always go for bright solids. Most places (Target, Walmart, etc.) have lines of bedding that is mix and match in bright solid colors. For example you could do bright red sheets and a navy comforter.

Melanie
11-05-2003, 03:37 AM
Thanks for adding your experience. I have one of *those* friends who likes to tell me how silly all my ideas are, making this one no different.

Right now I'm looking for Celestial prints - I haven't even found any in twin that I like, much less full. But thanks for the ideas for that as well.

brubeck
11-05-2003, 11:02 AM
This is not celestial, but looks like it would be good for a boy's room:

http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?PAGE=PROFRAME&PROD_ID=540308

luvbeinmama
11-05-2003, 07:34 PM
LOL! DS just got our full bed now that we got a king size. I got some great plaid sheets for him that went with the quilt I have, and he said, "I don't like that". So I took him with me to Bed, Bath & Beyond, and he picked out the transportation sheets. Fortunately, the full sized sheets in kid prints are limited or I may have had to get Spongebob! Yuck! LOL! You can check them out though. I don't remember what else they had. As it is, I had to let him get the Spongebob toothbrush holder!

megsmom
11-05-2003, 08:04 PM
Meg moved into a full size bed about 6 weeks ago. Our main reason is that her new room is the former guest room which was already housing a full size bed. We would basically have to sell the bed or give it away (a shame since it was only 2 years old) since we have no storage for a bed.

The full size bed WAS nice the first few nights to be able to lay down with her and help her transition to the new bed and room(she was coming from a crib though vs. co-sleeping). In my last few days of pregnancy I must admit to falling asleep with her for many of her naps after we read stories and I lay there a few seconds. She has done remarkably well with her "big girl bed."

I didn't find any problem with getting bedding either. Of course I was looking mainly for girly patterns that were non-character, but I seem to recall that there were a lot of nice boy prints available in full size, especially in catalogs and online.

Jen
mom to Meghan 7/13/01
and #2 EDD 11/12/03

akc
11-07-2003, 07:34 PM
I'm so glad I found this post, b/c I was just going to ask this myself for my DD (currently 16 mos). We have a full and, honesly, I'd rather spend getting her "big girl" room ready with the full than a twin. We'll keep her in a crib when she goes into the room, but eventually go to the full bed. I transitioned to a full when I was small and loved it (though I must admit...I grew up into a bed hog b/c I was so used to the space!) Our only concern is that the full frame I have is an iron bedframe, which makes me nervous in the early transition days, she might slip through the curves in the frame. I think we're going to get plexiglass cut to fit in between her and the frame so that she can't slide out.

On bedding, nearly ALL of the catalogs (PBK, Land of Nod, Company Store, etc.) sell bedding in crib, twin and full, so it's a good place to start. You can shop the sales in those OR even try ebay which usually has a gazillion listings for that stuff. I'm personally having my daughters bedding made because it just works out cheaper - for decoration purposes, you just need a full bedskirt, two shams, and any window treatments you want to match. Then, you can buy a cheaper quilt or plain coverlet to go on top (washable being key). It works out to great savings if you find reasonable fabric, plus it's EXACTLY what you want.

Anyway, glad to know someone else is doing this...!

Alexa