PDA

View Full Version : Now that I have the bed in her room, how do I get her to sleep in it?

sugarsnappea
12-17-2003, 09:08 AM
JG got her new big girl bed about 2 1/2 weeks ago. We placed it in her room and got new bedding etc.. She loves to read in it, play in it, but will not sleep in it. When DH and I try to get her to sleep in it she says "no, I want to sleep in my crib". DH thinks we need to get the crib out of her room ASAP (before the new baby). I don't know how she will react to that. Should we just be a little more patient and wait for her to decide? I don't need the crib for at least 3 months. We just thought that the adjustment would be easier now. Any suggestions? TIA! :)

brubeck
12-17-2003, 10:44 AM
Have you tried putting her down for naps in the bed? The next step I made (after what you are doing) was to put Amy to bed in the bed but I left the crib in the room (side up) for about a week. Then the crib went away. However I did have Amy napping on the bed before I ever switched her in there at night.

Also, why does she like the crib? Is there something about the bedding? Is it the 'gated' feel? Is it just scary going to something new? If you could figure that out it might help you figure out what to do next.

Melanie
12-18-2003, 03:59 AM
I heard you shouldn't make any major changes (like new bedrooms/beds/potty learning/etc.) three months before or three months after a new baby...but I have no experience with that theory either way (only one little one!).

So, to answer your question...GOOD QUESTION! We are doing something similiar here except it is to go from co-sleeping to his bed. We are doing naps there...he's tried two nights (the first at his request), but they didn't go well. Naps are fine and he likes to play up there. We are just trying to make it a positive place. Soon Dh is going to read books with him there before bed. We're not pushing the nighttimes yet as we're soon going to be a way for a couple of nights and he'll co-sleep then.

sugarsnappea
12-18-2003, 08:03 AM
Thanks. We have been trying, unsuccessfully, to sleep in the bed for naps. She just keeps getting out and opening the door...
I also heard about the not making any major changes. Too bad I didn't listen. :) We just moved a month ago (a new bedroom) and are in the throes of potty learning. There are many new things going on in her life. Maybe she likes her crib since it is the one thing that has remained constant, and she feels secure in it. Since we moved, I have noticed some regression. She wakes up just about every night around 3-5AM and wants to come in our bed. We were allowing that, but decided last night to just go into her room and sing some songs. It worked, she went right back to bed.
DH thinks that it will be harder to get her to sleep in her bed after the baby arrives. He may be right, she may want to be with us since that's where the new baby will be. I think I may be worrying too much about this. I just thought all toddlers are thrilled to get into a bed of their own! :)

brubeck
12-18-2003, 11:07 AM
You know Deb the one constant is that all toddlers are different. :)

I didn't realize you had so much else going on! I think that a move and potty training and a bed switch (plus the new arrival in 6 weeks or so) is really stressful. You might be right in that she just doesn't want to switch until she's feeling less stressed about everything else.

But here's another thought. Suppose she doesn't know the baby is sleeping with you? Maybe you could put the baby down to sleep in another room and then move it after she has gone to bed? I don't know what kind of baby sleeping arrangements you have in mind, but that might work.

sugarsnappea
12-18-2003, 02:40 PM
LOL!
Well, the baby won't be actually sleeping with us, just next to us in the bassinet. I think I will just give JG time and let her initiate the switch. That is what I have done about the potty and she is doing great. Thanks again. :)