PDA

View Full Version : More on big boy/big girl beds

lmintzer
02-12-2004, 06:21 PM
We are thinking of transitioning Jack (2 years and 9 months) to a big boy bed. We are in favor of going with a twin instead of a toddler bed.

For those who have used twin beds with kids this age, did you buy just a mattress and board or did you put the mattress on a box spring? I believe I've seen people put the mattress on top of a hard board that fits into a box spring. This helps keep the bed closer to the ground.

Lisa
& Jack, 4/20/01
& Joshua, 11/16/03

egoldber
02-12-2004, 08:36 PM
I have a lot of friends who have done this very successfully. They all use the hardboard instead of the box spring, at least at first. One mom in my playgroup got the cutest big boy bed at Bombay Kids. It has full siderails down both sides of the bed.

We have successfully transitioned DD to a toddler bed, and that has been working really well for us. I was reluctant to get a twin because it takes up so much more room. Since the toddler bed is smaller, there is ample room in her big girl room for a train table, alrge dollhouse, etc.

HTH,

lukkykatt
02-13-2004, 01:42 PM
Since he is getting close to 3, I would definitely skip the toddler bed. I can't imagine that he could be in one long enough to make it worth it.

My older son is in a race car bed - not the toddler one, but the twin size one. It worked out great. The bed had sides to it that go all the way around, so we just used a board and a mattress. If we had used a box spring, the mattress would have been flush with the top sides of the bed. This way I think he felt more "contained" in the beginning and we didn't have to worry about him falling out.

I did just buy a bed for my younger son (20 months) because he started climbing out of his crib. The bed is not here yet and I am still deciding whether or not to get a box spring. His bed is a "regular" bed, so no sides to it, but I did think it might be nicer for him to be lower to the ground for a while.

momtoemma
02-14-2004, 08:47 PM
Any suggestions on where to look for a cute toddler bed? I found one at Pottery Barn Kids, but it is only available in white and DD's furniture is more of a honey color.

Thanks!

egoldber
02-14-2004, 09:09 PM
Hmm. We got ours at BuyBuyBaby. Its a natural maple or birch finish (I forget which they called it). It is pretty simple. With our 20% off coupon it was less than $100 and we got a cheapo mattress at BRU for it.

You could also check TRU or consignment stores. My local consignment store usually has one on display.

HTH,

Tondi G
02-16-2004, 04:50 PM
we just moved DS to a regular twin bed a few weekends ago... went quite well! We ended up buying a bed frame at IKEA for him. Their beds are very low to the ground and are platform bed style so they only need a mattress no box spring! Dh said there were 2 or 3 different setting for where the mattress sat.... below the side rails a bit, just above and a bit higher up than that. We chose the mid setting so he wouldn't bump his shins o nthe wood every time he climbed into bed. We didn't buy a bed rail and he hasn't fallen out yet!

we bought a twin mattress at COSTCO ... Sealy brand, for 99 dollars! Total the frame was 200 and the mattress 100 so 300 bucks ain't bad and believe it or not the bed frame is actually very sturdy and should last for quite a while with DS! We were happy with the wya everything turned out!

This is the bed we bought

http://www.ikea-usa.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10101&storeId=12&productId=10914&langId=-1&parentCats=10103*10144

Hope this helps you!

~Tondi and Mason 7/8/01

khakismom
02-23-2004, 11:16 AM
We actually have a double bed for Kathleen (already had it so no need to buy a new one), and put it on the box spring, which was on the frame. So it was the typical height. We transitioned her when she was around 22 months.

For Ellen we will go straight to a twin rather than a toddler bed also. I think toddler beds are soooo cute, but I don't want to have to buy another crib mattress. I would rather buy an adult mattress that can be used for years.

pshontz
05-05-2004, 10:39 PM
So did you use a bedrail? We have a mattress and box springs already, no frame, so I am looking for bed frames or rails or whatever works with the box spring. (It seems that a lot of the cute kids' bed frames like those at Bombay Kids, Cargo Kids, IKEA, work without a box spring.) Thanks, Ruth

AngelaS
05-06-2004, 08:13 AM
Adrienne went straight to a twin sized daybed, that was probably close to 24 inches off the floor. I put a bedrail on it and she had no problems. Being high up also kept her from getting OUT of bed which was very handy! :D

Gabrielle will be moving to the bottom bunk of a bunk bed in the months to come.