PDA

View Full Version : Are mattress pads safe to use for young toddlers?

lukkykatt
02-14-2004, 12:21 AM
I was looking at mattress pads today for DS' new bed, which will be coming next month. They were all advertised as "generously padded", "extra thick", etc. I couldn't find any "regular" pads. I started wondering if these kinds of mattress pads are safe for a 20 month old. I was just worried about the pad being too thick since he sleeps on his stomach.

So, is this just advertising hype about the mattress pad description or should I keep looking? And does it matter after a certain point, anyway?

BTW, I bought a waterproof mattress cover, so he will definitely need a pad of some sort on top of it. I know I think about things too much, but just wanted to be safe!

egoldber
02-14-2004, 09:10 PM
I have a mattress pad on Sarah's toddler bed, but it wasn't very thick. The thick ones were all considerable more than I wanted to spend! I don't think there are any safety issues after the 1 year point.

HTH,

lukkykatt
02-15-2004, 03:58 PM
LOL! I was at Marshall's - never one to spend more than I have to! All they had were the thick ones. I didn't think there were any issues but they were all being billed as so thick and luxurious that I started wondering if DS would be ok since he sleeps on his belly.

I got him a little travel pillow too - are they ok now too (we haven't started using it yet)?

My older son was 2.5 when we moved him to his bed so I wasn't nearly as worried when we made the switch. DS just seems so *little* to be going into a bed...

loewymartin
02-16-2004, 02:55 PM
I can't help at all - other than to please share your experience once you start! Alia is now 21 months and we're toying with moving her to a bed. I'm actually kind of against it right now, but Ken is for it. #2 is arriving in August and we've been told we should do it 3 months before or 3 months after the baby arrives. So, that would put us around May to have her moved if we do it before. She sleeps so well in her crib right now that I'm worried about "rocking the boat"!

She is a stomach sleeper as well - so please let me know what you did and how you did it! I would really appreciate it!

Michelle - Mom to Alia born 5/16/02

MichelleL
02-16-2004, 08:32 PM
You mentioned you bought a waterproof mattress cover? Is this something that comes off or is it material sewn on the mattress? I am trying to figure out where I can find a waterproof mattress pad like the ones I have for the crib. Where did you get yours?

Thanks & Good Luck!
MichelleL

lukkykatt
02-16-2004, 11:27 PM
Got it at Target. It is a plastic cover that zips around the entire mattress, then you put the mattress pad on top of it. Even with the pad on, it makes the mattress a little squeaky, but it is better than having a soggy mattress!

lukkykatt
02-16-2004, 11:38 PM
I will share when the time comes! Our furniture arrives in about a month. DS will be 21/22 months old by then and I would really have liked him to stay longer in his crib. But DS has started climbing out of his crib so I don't have a choice :(

If you don't think your daughter will be ready to move exactly when she is 2, you can always do the 3 months after. I never put either of my boys in their crib until they were between 2.5 and 5 months - they stayed with me until they were sleeping a decent chunk of time at night.

Melanie
02-17-2004, 01:01 PM
I have a waterproof mattress pad cover...sort of both objects in one. I did pay more than I felt it was worth at Kohl's, but I'd looked everywhere for one and it was a brand-new mattress. It's not too thick.

MichelleL
02-19-2004, 02:46 AM
Thanks Andrea! I will keep an eye out for it! We are getting our big boy bed on Friday but haven't started the potty training yet! YIKES!

Michelle L