PDA

View Full Version : HOW do I get DS to sleep in his new "big boy" bed???

lmladuke
04-02-2004, 12:45 PM
We just got the bed this week, and DS (2 1/2) refuses to have anything to do with it. Let me add, that he also refuses to have anything to do with his crib either. He started giving us a hard time about the crib 4 months ago and would scream and climb out(basically fall out)of it. We were afraid he was going to hurt himself so we let him sleep with us (big mistake)

I have tried saying I was going to sleep with him in his new bed, tried to read him books in it. Nothing works. We have a great truck quilt set from PB Kids and I put all of his animals on the bed, but he still does not want to sleep in it.

I have managed to put him in it for a nap (when he has already fallen asleep) and he stays in it, and wakes up fine. But when he is wide awake, or it is nighttime, that's a whole other story...

I know this is going to take time, but any advice is greatly appreciated. I am expecting #2 in 4 months and don't want to be going through this nightmare still!!!

Lori

egoldber
04-02-2004, 11:17 PM
I wuld try and let him decide to use the bed on his own. With my DD, we set up the bed, and I then moved all her toys and stuff into that room and we played in there, so it was fun. I kept asking her if she wanted to sleep there and she kept saying no, no, no... After a week or so, she said yes to sleeping there and she slept great. THEN we traveled and she didn't want to go back on the bed after that. But if we had not been traveling, I think it would have gone smoothly. We have since gotten her back in the bed and she's been doing great in it.

If he's sleeping with you, it may be a bit harder to transition him, but I would still try and take it slowly. Talk up the whole "big boy" aspect, but don't create any pressure.

Good luck!

lmladuke
04-03-2004, 02:49 PM
He actually did sleep in it last night!!! I did sort of talk it up a bit, but not alot of pressure. I told him we were going to go upstairs and read a few books and then he and I would sleep in his big boy bed. He was ok with it. I ended up sleeping in his bed last night because I thought I would give him a few nights in there with me, then I would leave when he fell asleep. I thought if he woke up last night in the middle of the night, and I was gone, he would be upset and would go back to not wanting to sleep there at all.

I know this is going to be a long road.

Thanks for your advice!

Lori