PDA

View Full Version : Duvets

raynjen
05-09-2004, 02:47 AM
I have lived in blissfull ignorance of duvets for years - I knew they were out there, but was never quite sure what they were exactly. So, educate me please... A duvet is basically a plain comforter that slides into a duvet cover somewhat like a pillow slides into a pillow case, right? Then the end buttons shut? So here are some of my questions: Where does one purchase a duvet? Are they cheaper than comforters? I have trouble getting larger pillows into their pillow cases - will I have problems getting a duvet into it's cover? Does the duvet move around inside of the cover and so need to be 'straightened' each morning? The buttons of the duvet covers seem to be right where you 'cuddle up' to your blanket - do they ever get in the way?

I have been reading a book about redoing your child's room and they had several different styles of duvets that you can make. I'm pretty handy with sewing (I made my daughter's toddler quilt) so it seems that A) a duvet cover would be much easier to sew and B) a cover would be simpler to wash. Is that right?

Thanks ladies (and gentlmen - do we have any guys on this side yet?)

Jen in Okinawa
Mom to Noelle (2 1/2)

Kimberly H
05-09-2004, 09:14 PM
Jen, I'm a HUGE duvet fan! Matter of fact, one of our favorite tidbits from our China trip was the duvets in our first hotel in Hefei - heavenly!

Anyway, you can buy a duvet anywhere. Mine happens to be from JCPenney and wasn't expensive as it's pseudo-goosedown. I know The Company Store has them too. You can get them in goosedown, fake goosedown and just plain ol' fiberfill. You can even use a comforter - old or new.

If you're making your own, you can adjust your duvet cover to suit the duvet so that it's not too tight and tough to stuff. My current duvet cover actually has an envelope style closure instead of buttons, and you could use anything to close a duvet cover. Snaps, Velcro, frogs, ribbons, etc. Let your imagination go!

To make the bed, I grab my duvet, shake it up over the bed (like when you put on your top sheet) and then let it fall down. Straighten the sides and I'm done! My duvet cover has slits on the corners opposite the closure so you can grab the actual duvet with your hands when you do the shake, eliminating any shifting inside.

Hmmm...I might just have to try my hand at one too, though I'm no seamstress! Crib sheets are about my limit ;)

ETA: some clarification

raynjen
05-10-2004, 01:46 AM
Thanks! This is EXACTLY the info I was looking for. Especially the bit about the "slits". I was thinking I could make it pillow case style with the opening at the bottom. I'm much happier with the idea of velcro - they have those new 'softer' velcros that are made specifically for children's clothes that ought to work. Then I could leave the velcro out at the very edges for slits!

Oh yeah, I see LOTS of duvets in our future...

Now its just a matter of narrowing down which ones I want to make!

Jen in Okinawa
Mom to Noelle (2 1/2)