PDA

View Full Version : So how does a convertible crib/toddler bed work?

McQ
05-10-2004, 11:53 AM
We bought a convertible crib this weekend with all kinds of ideas running through our heads. The plan was to give Declan the new crib so that when he's ready for a toddler bed there won't be too much of a change for him (since it'll already be his bed). But now I'm wondering how you make the bed once it's a toddler bed. Do you tuck in the blanket/comforter around the back/bottom edges? Is it a pain? And what about side rails? How exactly does this set-up work? TIA!

Allison
~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03
and number 2 EDD 9.14.04

BethinMass
05-10-2004, 04:30 PM
We had a convertible crib as well, and when I used it as a toddler bed, I made the bed like I did our bed. Only difference was that on the side rail side and crib side it kind of bunched up on the sides. It looked fine, and wasn't any more difficult then a normal bed is now :)

raynjen
05-10-2004, 07:56 PM
Noelle's looks like a little day bed (top, bottom, and one 'side'). It is actually pretty easy to make up. I bought crib sheets and took the elastic off of one side, trimmed it, and hemmed it to make a hugger sheet (a top sheet that is 'fitted' on the bottom so it is harder for them to kick off). I do tuck her quilt at the side and bottom and it isn't a problem at all since the mattress is so light-weight.

Jen in Okinawa
Mom to Noelle (2 1/2)

McQ
05-11-2004, 09:35 AM
Interesting tip on the sheet. Thanks! Do you leave the bumper on? I saw them in the store this weekend where they had folded the bumper back so it was on all three sides but not hanging off the front if that makes any sense.

Where can I find the best selection for a toddler quilt/blanket/comforter and top flat sheets (if I end up hosing up the making of my own)? I checked the PBK website this morning (hoping to match his crib bedding) but only saw crib or twin/full items. edited to add: maybe this is a dumb question, but is the toddler quilt listed under the crib bedding actually used for a toddler bed? All along I thought that was just a blanket to cuddle with, but not as a quilt as in for the bed. Am I nuts?!

And while I'm sure this is a long way off, when do they start sleeping with their head at one end of the bed. Right now he sleeps all over the place in any angle. Thanks!

Allison
~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03
and number 2 EDD 9.14.04

raynjen
05-11-2004, 11:26 PM
We got rid of our bumper before we converted the bed - we were moving and it just made sense to sell the crib set (bumper, quilt, etc.) as a set since they were bought to match the room.

Lots of places have toddler bedding (I know it doesn't seem that way when you first start a search, but trust me). Toys'R'Us, Walmart, and Kmart carry a lot of the 'character' bedding. A site that I like is Olive Kids (http://www.olivekids.com/) we haven't bought anything from them yet, so I can't tell you the quality, but I really like their designs. Pottery Barn kids (http://www.potterybarnkids.com/index.cfm?sid=PBK1WK2LMUNBCRPL7HLRZPJ5LGOZQ13E2004 05111739&ftest=1&flash=on)
has a lot too. Most sites you have to search by 'toddler' or 'toddler bedding' don't be alarmed when it comes up as 'nursery bedding' or 'crib bedding' just click on the link and you will usually find a toddler quilt listed.

A crib quilt isn't the same as a toddler quilt as it doesn't have the length/width needed to tuck it in. Another options (epecially if you are tight on money) is to buy a twin sized blanket and cut it in half - this will give you two blankets large enough to cover a toddler bed. If you use fleece then you don't even have to hem the cut end!

As for staying on one end of the bed - I think some kids don't EVER do this - my DH ends up upside down if he sleeps in after I get up!

Jen in Okinawa
Mom to Noelle (2 1/2)