PDA

View Full Version : So, what's the concensus on Bedrails?

akc
05-25-2004, 10:56 AM
Hi -

I'm just trying to save myself the agonizing hassle. What's the final opinion on Bedrails? Is there one that IS safe or should I just go with this new find, the SnugTuck pillow?

My situation:
My DD, Maeve, is going into a FULL-sized, antique iron bedframe that is fairly high off the ground. Yup. Not the easiest transition. She is laying on it everyday and sometimes (rarely) falling asleep on it with us. We read there and she never gets down on her own or runs into any danger trouble, but I suspect that may change when she sleeps there and really wants to get down. She's also a very active, flop-around sleeper.

My gut right now is saying two SnugTuck pillows, one on each side, which we can do b/c there is plenty of room on a full. I'll probably also create a "bumperlike" barrier at the top and bottom b/c of the iron. Other option (not the cheapest) is to put the SnugTucks along the sides AND a bed rail next to it to be super sure.

Thoughts? I've just heard so much back and forth on bedrails, etc. that I just want to tap into the experienced among you! Thanks in advance -

Alexa

AngelaS
05-25-2004, 12:08 PM
My oldest's first bed was a wrought iron daybed that set pretty high off the floor. That was a GREAT way to keep her in bed, because she was hesitant to get down without help. :D

I used a basic old First Years mesh bedrail as I recall. She fell out of bed ONE time and was in such a deep sleep that she barely noticed! :D

Jeanne
05-26-2004, 11:15 AM
We've been using a Safety First mesh bed rail for 4 months now and have never had a problem. The darn thing locks so tightly onto the mattress that I can't see how it would be a safety concern.

In fact, I'm concerned as to what damage it's doing to her new bed! I unlock it every few days to give the bed a change to spring back.

Jeanne Barajas
05-28-2004, 05:54 PM
Does the mattress lay flat, or does the bedrail make the mattress buckle? If it is making the mattress buckle, it will ruin it, and won't last as long. It is also not very good for your childs back. I know that some railings actually cause a bulge in the middle of the mattress, and is also not good for little backs. The only bed rail out there that won't damage your mattress, and still keep your child safe is the Snug Tuck Pillow.

AngelaS
05-28-2004, 09:29 PM
Is this an ad?

akc
05-29-2004, 12:58 AM
Hi -

I'm not sure what you are trying to say - are you being sarcastic here? I asked the question and have gotten legitimate advice.
????

AngelaS
05-29-2004, 08:17 AM
No, no. I think that this Jeanne poster must have a vested interest in selling Snug Tuck Pillows. She's posted on the BB boards a total of 4 times and ALWAYS about the SAME topic.

stella
05-30-2004, 03:42 PM
It's an ad. And there are others in the other posts - like "I love my Snug Tuck". You'll know them because their names are not underlined, they have no info about # of posts, or ratings (not advocating ratings - I know you can turn them off, but most posters do have it), and they all say the same thing:

snug tuck is the greatest, here's what you can do to make your blanket lie flat, etc.

I resent the dishonest postings. If you are a manufacturer or are affiliated, just say so. It's a poor reflection on you and it makes me not even want to consider it when it may be a very helpful product.

cara1
05-30-2004, 06:18 PM
Seems like I'm getting in on this topic late, but what is the downside to rails? I'm sure DS would fall out of a bed, so I'm not sure why I wouldn't use rails. We were thinking of getting him a high-riser instead of a regular bed, however, and I can't see how rails would tuck into that, however.

akc
05-30-2004, 06:50 PM
Hi -

I've just heard that everybody worries about them falling between the bed and rail and others have had problems with them collapsing. There are some new brands that claim to solve that problem, and some people didn't have a problem with the smaller, original kinds. I've just got the problem that: 1) the bed is a full with a tall mattress, so a rail might not even cover it heightwise, 2) the bed can't be against a wall (a radiator there), so I'd have to create enough railing to go around the full and leave no holes on either side, and, most importantly, 3) my DD flops around and I don't want her flopping right onto a rail. I was looking and think I'll go with the SnugTucks just because I can use them as a bumper-like item.

Still looking forward to hearing other people's opinions!

Thx -
Alexa

khakismom
05-31-2004, 10:07 PM
Hi Alexa! My DD has been in her bed for about a year and a half and we used a rail for almost a year. We used the Regalo SmartGuard rail that is available at OSA. However some kind soul here mentioned that Walmart also carried it for much, much cheaper (like half the price). So we bought it there.

We never had any problems with it and she never fell out of bed, not once. She sleeps in a double (full-size) bed also that is kind of high off the ground. She never gets off the bed unless we come to get her. She will call our name and as soon as we are in the room, down she goes.

The other 2 sides of the bed are against the wall, so with the rail, only the foot of the bed was exposed. We took the rail away when it was obvious that she was used to sleeping in it.

Overall, I was very happy with it and will use it again for my other DD. HTH!

Jeanne
06-01-2004, 12:41 AM
I thought that was a weird reply. I can't see how any bedrail could cause a mattress to buckle when it's only sitting on the edge.