PDA

View Full Version : Do I HAVE to move DS out of crib?

hjdong
06-04-2004, 05:10 PM
Yesterday, Jamie began getting his leg over the crib. So far, he can only get his foot and ankle out. My DH wans to wait until he gets to the knee, but I'm kind of afraid if he gets to the knee he'll crash to the floor and THAT'S not how I want to find out he needs to be in a bed. He's so short I thought I had a while before I had to worry about this.

Here's my concern - he takes 1/2 an hour to get to sleep and generally wakes up once per nap and once at night. If he's in a bed, won't he be less likely to sleep - if he can get up when he wants? Right now, he's very easy to get back to sleep but if he's in the bed and can get out, I think he'll wake himself up.

TIA

Karenn
06-04-2004, 05:32 PM
Holly,
We got a crib tent and Colin LOVES it! It also keeps him from crawling out. I didn't want do anything to mess up his sleep, including moving him to a bed. (which might have been fine, but I really didn't want to take the risk!) The crib tent seems to be the perfect solution. He begs me to zip it up as soon as I put him in his crib. I think he thinks he's sleeping in a secret fort!

[http://tinyurl.com/yq2zs]

redhookmom
06-04-2004, 05:33 PM
Another vote for the crib tent. DS stayed in the crib until he was almost 3.

hjdong
06-05-2004, 08:05 PM
Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, someone at DH work offered him a free toddler bed, so he wants to try that first. I have a feeling I will be very tired next week (he's getting it Tuesday), and by Friday, letting you know we're getting the crib tent (or, perhaps I'll be proved wrong). I think it's going to be a long week . . .

raynjen
06-06-2004, 06:52 PM
Hang in there, maybe when he see your blurry eyes in a few days he'll relent...

Good Luck!

Jen in Okinawa
Mom to Noelle (2 1/2)

LBW
06-09-2004, 10:15 PM
I switched my son to a twin mattress on the floor recently after he tried to climb out of his crib. I was VERY worried that the change would ruin his sleeping habits. But, I've been pleasantly surprised. Some nights it has been a little harder to get him to fall asleep. But, overall, the transition has been better than I hoped. He really likes his new bed and he gets very excited when he sees it. He has been taking longer naps -- he went from 1-2 hours to 2-3 hours-- and even sleeps a little later in the mornings.

hjdong
06-10-2004, 12:38 AM
So far, this is BAD. But, to give DH credit, he got up with him (every two hours!!!) last night. However, he didn't climb out and start playing (my concern), he screamed. I think the change is a little too much. He did still mostly go back to sleep quickly. He did something similiar about two weeks after we got home from adoption (after two weeks of screaming from 12-4 a.m.), like he's just checking to make sure we'll come in. Hopefully, this will pass more quickly!

LBW
06-18-2004, 04:24 PM
Well, at least you don't have to worry about him falling out now! I hope he adjusts quickly.