PDA

View Full Version : Metal Bed Frame

raynjen
06-13-2004, 08:30 AM
The basic metal frame that you usually use with a box spring and mattress - can you substitute plywood for the boxspring?

I don't want to put my daughter's new 'big girl' bed on the ground (her room is really really small and we need the underbed storage space) but if I use a frame, boxspring, and mattress then she will be able to climb up onto the window ledge (like a window seat, but about kitchen counter height above the ground.

So, I need the frame, and I obviously need the mattress, but how important is the box spring? I read in another post that as long as the mattress had adequate support there wouldn't be any problems. Is there something I might be overlooking?

Any other ideas? One of the reasons I am anxious to move her out of her (converted) crib is that she uses it to climb up onto this window ledge. I have visions of her doing a header off of this some evening...

Jen in Okinawa
Mom to Noelle (2 1/2)

hjdong
06-13-2004, 01:23 PM
Our trundle basically sits on the metal frame and then a piece of plywood covered with fabric and batting (how it came, not something we made) so I'm sure it's fine.

Momof3Labs
06-13-2004, 05:55 PM
All through college, I slept on a bed with just a metal frame (with springs) and a mattress - but that combo was too saggy, so I had a sheet of plywood that I shoved between the mattress and frame. It worked like a charm!! Can't say I miss those dorm days...

JakesMom
06-15-2004, 05:25 AM
Hi Jen,

If you use plywood under your mattress, I'd highly recommend doing a little work on it first. The main reasons we use box springs are to protect the mattress and provide height. A previous poster said she got her child's bet set with a plywood piece covered in batting & fabric... can you go to a fabric store and purchase some, and just staple-gun it around the underside of the plywood? This will serve to protect your DD's mattress, the edges of her bed linens, and even her fingers (the edges of plywood always feel scratchy!).

Best wishes,
JT

Jacob 01.2000
Daniel 08.2002

raynjen
06-15-2004, 09:17 AM
Thanks all!

I'm not sure if we can get the frame that comes with the built in springs (this is military issue stuff so we don't get to pick and choose), but it sounds like the plywood will work just fine. I have an old sheet of ours and some batting that I can fasten around the plywood to protect the mattress and DD - thanks for the suggestion JT =). I might even be able to purchase one of those wrapped boards at the local Japanese furniture store (I seem to remember something like that on their bunk beds...

Jen in Okinawa
Mom to Noelle (2 1/2)

LBW
06-18-2004, 04:28 PM
We ordered a bed for our son from a children's furniture store and were able to order a "bunky board" to go under the mattress. We didn't want the added height of a boxspring. It's about 2 inches deep and is probably plywood covered in batting and wrapped in thick fabric. I think it was $50.