PDA

View Full Version : How long for toddler beds?

sntm
07-12-2004, 12:33 PM
On a related question, how long can/do kids sleep in a toddler bed? Our crib converts, so that would be my preference, but since Jack will probably cosleep totally for another several months and then after might cosleep partially, is it worth buying the new toddler mattress or should I just get a twin?

I've been working out the various advantages and disadvantages of toddler/twin/double for a week now and have made no progress!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

egoldber
07-12-2004, 02:57 PM
Well here were my reasons for picking a toddler bed:

1) easier transition: Its more crib-like and cozy

2) takes up less space in her room: We also have a train table, dollhouse and toy bins in her room and there is still plenty of room to walk around

3) I could use all the same sheets I already had

4) Easier for potty training for her to get in and out of the bed

5) At the time, I was not up for the "commitment level" involved in deciding on a twin bed.

We bought a very inexpensive toddler bed and mattress and I am perfectly happy with both. At almost 3, DD still has tons of room left to grow in her bed.

There are lots of good reasons to go to a big bed too, I just liked the idea of the toddler bed.

luvbeinmama
07-13-2004, 02:00 AM
Why would you buy a new mattress?

We used a toddler bed for a year (a "gift" from a friend who no longer needed the one she had), and then DS got our double when we got a king. He was about 3 1/2 and was really outgrowing the toddler bed when he switched. It worked out for us as a good transitional bed, but I don't know that I will do the same for DD. I will probably just go get her a twin when the time comes as we gave the toddler bed to another friend (it's making the rounds, LOL!).

In your case, I would convert the crib. I think the fact that it is still his crib, just converted a bit, may make the crib to bed transition easier for you than going straight to a twin. I know DS missed the crib sides when we switched him. It took a few weeks for him to adjust.

HTH!

sntm
07-16-2004, 01:03 PM
The mattress in there right now is the super-firm infant one. Very stiff and VERY different from our plush pillowtop mattress which he sleeps on.

Jack sleeps in a crib at daycare but otherwise hasn't slept in one for about 4 months. And even then would join us halfway through the night. So, I had wondered if a twin or double would be less of an adjustment.

Beth, good points -- thanks. I'm leaning towards doing that, then, especially as with the toddler mattress, I could put it in our room first to get him used to it and to sleeping alone.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03