PDA

View Full Version : Bed rail safety concern

Daisy918
07-22-2004, 10:07 AM
Hi all. My daughter (22 months) has been in a twin bed for about a week now. We have an old hand me down rail--it has a mesh side and it just slides under the mattress.

Last night I heard her making noise around 3 am. I checked on her and she was on her stomach w/her legs under and thru the rail--almost on the ground. And her head and stomach were on the bed. SCARY to think what would have happened if it was her head thru the rail...

Are there safer rails now that maybe attach better to the bed somehow?

hjdong
07-22-2004, 05:38 PM
Hi - We originally had the kind you are talking about. Know the one we has slides under the bed and then clamps onto the mattress. So, if you can picture it, the bottom rail actually puts some pressure onto the matttress and helps to hold it in place. The rest is still much the same - mesh sides, etc. - but there would be no way she could get her legs etc. under the rail. On the box, it said, "Meets new safety standards."

HTH,

cara1
07-26-2004, 02:52 PM
It actually clamps onto the mattress? We just bought one from One Step Ahead. Also a mesh thing. It has straps that slide under the mattress and disks that are supposed to prevent it from moving. DH lied on the bed and thought it was pretty easy to get a limb stuck in between the rail and the bed, and immediately took it off. So DS spent his first night in a twin last night without a rail, but a bunch of pillows on the floor.

Daisy918
07-26-2004, 10:41 PM
I just got that rail--thanks for the tip. Yes, it clamps onto the mattress. It's going to be a pain to change the sheets and to move it down, but it's worth it!!!