PDA

View Full Version : Good Quality Furniture to last to College and beyond

sbirmantaz
08-01-2004, 08:50 PM
If you decided to buy twin beds to last the duration where did you buy them? Does anyone have any recommendations as to where to purchase good quality furniture. I grew up with the same wood twin bed and now my parents use it in the guest room. So, I am looking for beds and a dresser etc that will also last.

jubilee
08-08-2004, 07:26 PM
When my oldest son was 3-4 I bought him a really nice bedroom set, but it was queen size (which I don't recommend). I bought it at Wickes, but I don't know if they have stores everywhere. (I'm in Oregon).

bostonsmama
08-16-2004, 03:36 AM
I love the pieces that my parents purchased for my brothers. It's lasted them at least twelve years (and now I own them...and I'm gathering ideas as to how I can use them for my own children's rooms). I have two twin beds (which can be assembled as bunks), two tall dressers, a desk w/ chair and bookcase from Cargo (now Cargo Kids). The company still makes all its furniture from 100% solid wood with excellent construction. My brothers beat the stuff to H*LL and it looks/performs great! With two new colors: cotton and chocolate, it's much more versatile. The classic shaker and cottage styles can be adapter over the years from casual to high style.

I've linked a pic for how nice the bed can look, although it's a link to bedding, which they also sell.
http://www.cargokids.com/catalog/siblings.asp?idproduct=1483

Also, I have to say that if you have kids who really take care of things, and you want elegant (albeit non-kid friendly) furniture that is as timeless as it is beautiful, I recommend Stickley. My parents gave us a dining suite from one of the company's early queen anne lines. It is still breath-takingly smooth, elegant and beautiful. Take a look at their collection, my father actually knew the owner...but be prepared to take out your wallet to the tune of $3,000 per case piece:
www.stickley.com

steph2003
08-31-2004, 01:37 PM
I hope someone else has some suggestions as I am looking for good kid furniture that will last. I have to respectfully disagree with the PP about Cargo Kids. At one time it might have been nice stuff but now Pier One bought them & it is really cheaply made IMHO. There is a store right near me & the case pieces seem flimsly made out of non solid woods + no dove tail in drawers or anything that would indicate quality.

Some lines I'm considering are EG Furniture & AP Industries.