PDA

View Full Version : IKEA Childern's Beds or Other Toddler Options

mmaimp
08-03-2004, 10:08 PM
I have a question about IKEA extendable junior beds.

We are planing DS new bedroom so they baby can move into the nursery. The room is small and at first I was looking into a trundle bed but have since realized that it would take up the entire room. I don’t think a toddler bed would work for us because DS is not a good crib sleeper. He falls asleep in our bed with DH or myself and then after a bit we move him to the crib. I also don’t want to purchase an expensive bed right now because we plan to be in this house for another 4 years or less and then we will get a bed that fits his new room.

I like the idea of the extendable bed because it will not take up as much room. Also IKEA beds are low to the ground and still may have room for us to lay with him for short periods.

What I want to know is how you like the extendable bed and mattress? Also do you think the bed will last 4 years? I know IKEA quality can be low but I don’t want this to last forever.

If anyone has other suggestions they would be welcomed!

TIA,

brubeck
08-04-2004, 08:20 PM
We don't have the extendable bed but we have the one with the big drawer underneath. The drawer can be used as a trundle bed (it's big enough for a twin mattress) OR as an incredible amount of storage. It really helps in a small room. Including the extra drawer the entire thing was $89. If DD destroys it in 4 years I won't complain! It has held up really well for the 4 months we have had it so far.

mmaimp
08-06-2004, 01:38 PM
Thanks for the info. I need to get to IKEA to check out the beds and see what will work for our room.

How was the transition to a bed for your DD? Also did you get a mattress from IKEA?

Thanks again,

brubeck
08-06-2004, 09:11 PM
Well I should point out that my kids are good sleepers and have never really had any sleeping issues. That being said, we transitioned DD at 18 months to a bed because she was so tall she was on the verge of climbing out of her crib anyhow. We left the mattress in her room on the floor for a week and let her nap on it. Then one night we put her to bed on the mattress. She didn't have a problem and we removed the crib from her room a week later. A couple of months after that when we were comfy with the idea that she wouldn't fall out we put the mattress on a bed frame.

We actually didn't buy the Ikea bed until last March. She was on the low bed frame we already had, but we wanted to use it for DS, so DD needed something new. We bought her the Ikea bed then. We already had a spare twin mattress and we just used that with the bed so no, we did not get an Ikea mattress. It used to be that Ikea beds were weird sizes but apparently now they are all made to standard bed sizes. If you are doubtful bring a measuring tape and measure the bed space against your proposed mattress.

DS is 19 months and is currently sleeping on the mattress on the floor. We plan to move it up to the bedframe sometime around Halloween (presuming he doesn't have any issues with rolling off the bed).

C99
08-07-2004, 10:48 PM
Helen,

Are you talking about the Robin bedframe w/ trundle/storage drawer or is there another one? We're considering the Robin twin or the Sniglar crib (and just setting it up as a toddler bed).

brubeck
08-08-2004, 07:20 PM
Caroline it is the Robin with the underbed. I had to look it up in the catalog to make sure. I was shocked to see that they had increased the price! I checked on our receipt from a few months ago and the bed was $69 and the underbed was $30. Now the bed is $79 and the underbed is $50!

It's still a good deal though, and we are very pleased with it. We use the bottom drawer for storage and it sotres extra bedding plus a lot of seasonal items that we don't pull out too often.