PDA

View Full Version : Is there a height limit on cribs?

nov02mom
08-17-2004, 10:09 AM
I have a slight memory that I've read a discussion about there being a height limit for having them stay in their cribs. Jacob doesn't try to get out of his except after I've lowered the bar and am standing right there- but I don't want to risk anything. Of course, I'm still looking for a red race car twin bed cheaper than $400+ so I hope he's ok for a while longer!!!!
Thanks, Kristen

PS- He's 37" tall though

brubeck
08-17-2004, 12:46 PM
I don't think there is a specific height limit, but when my kids were tall enough that their armpits were higher than the top of the crib I got nervous. They were also already good climbers at that stage. I thought about it: if I were behind a wall that was lower than my armpits and I HAD to get over could I? Yep. So I moved them before they did it.

My thought was that they were capable of it so climbing out couldn't be far behind. However if your DS isn't inclined then you may have more breathing room.

1ceng1
08-17-2004, 10:34 PM
My DD is only 18 months old annd about 32" and trying her garndest to climb out right now. The mattress is at its lowest position and we are seriously considering transfering her to a bed. I think the height limit is really dependent upon your situation. I noticed about a week ago that DD was starting to prop her leg over the rail. I know the next step is for her to try to hoist her weight up and over.

luvbeinmama
08-28-2004, 01:34 AM
DS never tried to climb out of his crib. He was 2 yrs 8 mos when we moved him to his big boy bed because DD was coming a month later. I never worried about his height because he just was too cautious. Of course, he climbed in all the time during the day, but he always asked me to get him out. He way he climbed in he would have hurt himself if he tried it going out (flopped over the rail head first & landed on the mattress). So if he doesn't try to climb out, I wouldn't worry.