PDA

View Full Version : any one have the eg furniture devon collection

sams mommy
09-02-2004, 10:26 AM
hi everyone-

i am really interested in buying my son the eg furniture devon collection full size bed.
anyone know about it- or even better have it?

any input is greatly appreciated!!

donna jean
mommy to sam who is 3

Lynnie
10-08-2004, 04:53 PM
i don't have it, but i have seen it, and love it !! the guy at the children's store said it was the best.

August Mom
10-09-2004, 09:58 PM
I don't know anything about that particular item, but I have looked at E.G. IRL and was very impressed with quality and sturdiness.

sams mommy
10-12-2004, 09:33 AM
thank you both for your input!!

donna jean

steph2003
12-10-2004, 01:33 PM
I replied to another post above this - then I saw this one.

I just got my EG Furniture, Devon set for my DS's future room. LOVE IT! As other posters said - extremely sturdy/good quality. But of course you pay more then other places. Ultimately I'm happy with it though since I plan on him having this stuff into the teen years, at least that is my hope.

raynjen
01-29-2005, 07:20 AM
Can you tell me two things about your E.G. Furnitures? One, when you say that you pay more how much are we talking? I can't see any of this stuff IRL since we are in Japan, and I'm having a hard time getting prices from retailers. Secondly, do the drawers have full extension drawer glides? Are you still happy with the set?

Thanks!

Jen in Okinawa
Mom to a wonderful preschooler,
who just turned three, Noelle!

steph2003
02-08-2005, 04:22 PM
Sorry Jen
I am just now seeing this. What I mean is that EG runs higher in cost than other lines of furniture. Higher than stuff you'd buy at Babies R Us. Locally it is available in my town thru Bellini & USA Baby. I personally ordered it direct from Canada thru a children's store up there & had it shipped to the US. Still saved money w/the exchange rate even with freight shipping.

Hm, I'm not sure what you mean by full extension drawer glides. The drawers do glide in/out very smooth & they come out very far.

And I'm completely happy with my purchase. I look at the stuff in his big boy room & have no doubt we'll have it for a very long time! Not to mention the nursery furniture has held up really well over the last year.

raynjen
02-11-2005, 01:54 AM
No problem, this was kind of an older post that I resurrected =). Full-extension drawer glides are the metal ones that are mounted on either side of the drawer and have little wheels that keep the drawer on track (rather than wood, or metal ones that are mounted underneath). They have two advantages - they make it MUCH easier for the drawer to slide in and out (very important for my petite child) and they prevent the drawer from pulling all the way out.

Sounds like EG runs at about the same cost as Pottery Barn. The best I got out of their customer service was "here is the number for our representative in Kansas". Well, calling Kansas (where we will hopefully be moving next fall) from Japan is a leetle expensive! I'm seeing if they can send me an email address right now.

My main concern with buying good quality (expensive) furniture is that we move every 2-3 years in the military and moving isn't easy on furniture. We are trying to decide right now if we should A) invest in good quality furniture and hope it stands up to the movers or B)get cheap furniture that will work fine for a few years and if it falls apart in the move at least we aren't out a couple thousand dollars! Our friends have advised us both ways. Most of the folks who advise buying expensive advise VERY expensive - the value of certain woods (like Teak) don't decrease in value over time so if they are damaged then insurance will replace/repair them. It is all very complicated and probably more than you ever wanted to know =)!

Thanks for your input, I really like the EG mission style of furniture (I think it is called Monterrey), but DH wants white furniture for his baby girl, and I'm not sure Mission and white mix!

Jen in Okinawa
Mom to a wonderful preschooler,
who just turned three, Noelle!

memedee
02-19-2005, 06:17 PM
Have you ever looked at www.oakdesigns.com or www.paintboxdesigns.com
or www.newportcottages.com or www.cradlencrib.com particularly their relics line
Those are my favorites