PDA

View Full Version : What kind of blankets do you use for your toddler??

nov02mom
09-05-2004, 11:29 PM
I am getting ready to transition to a twin bed with my son who is 22 months old. I'm not sure if I should buy him a blanket for his new bed, or will he just use the comforter? Any thoughts?
Kristen

Momof3Labs
09-07-2004, 01:36 PM
Will he keep a blanket on? Colin won't have anything to do with a blanket, sheet, or whatever, so we just put him in appropriate PJs.

Hallie_D
09-07-2004, 03:36 PM
We splurged and bought a quilt from Pottery Barn Kids. It looks adorable on the bed and DS loves to look at the airplanes. I think it helped him make the transition more easily, because it was something he liked.

That said, just like Lori's DS, my DS will rarely keep even a sheet over him! It is purely decoration.

lizanov15
09-08-2004, 08:38 PM
Kristen,

Brianna will not keep a blanket on her since she moves around so much. She uses all 4 corners of her crib. For her, I would feel uncomfortable giving her a twin size comforter since I'm not sure she knows how to get out of it. My fear is that she'll get stuck somewhere under the comforter and not know how to get out.

Right now, she's still in her crib and she still uses her baby fleece blankets. They're quite warm and really easy for her to wrap around herself. When it gets colder, I'm going to buy some fleece pjs and maybe a down throw. The throw will be smaller than a twin comforter and be easier for her to use.

Just my 2 cents. I think it all depends on Jacob and if he can 'use' the comforter. You would know better about his sleeping style.

Liza

newbelly2002
10-16-2004, 04:05 PM
Lori,

What do you do in winter (I know this is an ancient thread!)? Dante kicks off the blanket at night, then wakes up crying and cold at 4 AM. He then goes back to sleep when we cover him (but we can't!) for a couple hours so I'm sure it's not an attention-tactic. I tried tucking the blanket under both sides of his mattress, coccoon style, but he shimmied up to the top in his sleep and ended up perpendicular in his bed/crib sleeping on top of the pillow, and crying because he was cold. I've dressed him in LLBean Long Johns with a sweatshirt and sweatpants over it and warm socks, to no avail. Tonight I tried Hanna's fleece pants over the Bean pajamas, but I'm not hopeful. It's hit freezing (32 degress F) every night for a couple weeks now and is only getting colder.

What do you dress Colin in, and how do you plan on keeping him warm as we head into winter? Thanks!

Momof3Labs
10-22-2004, 11:03 PM
Hey, Paula, I just saw your reply. Last winter, we used either Children's Place or Lands End fleece footed one-piece jammies. Our house isn't freezing but isn't super hot either (we usually settle in at 66-68 degrees at night). He did fine in those and so far has done fine in the same this year, though it hasn't hit freezing yet here. He will not use a blanket at all, so I have to count on jammies to keep him warm. If it got super cold, we'd layer, but it sound like you are already trying that.

Does Dante give you any information on what part of him is cold? If it is his hands or nose, there might not be much you can do. Would you be comfortable trying a space heater in his room?

newbelly2002
10-23-2004, 02:55 AM
Thanks! We may have to try the space heater route. The problem is that his door is open so both the dog and cat have access and I'd worry about them knocking it over--not to mention that he comes in and out on his own so...I don't know. I'm trying to debate if 3 layers is comfortable or not. Ugh. Then teh past 3 mornings he's been soaking through his diapers--and all three layers. Double ugh.

THanks for the advice. Off to look for fleece pajamas. Glad to hear that Colin's sleep is better!

Paula
Mama to Dante, 8/02

Jeanne
10-24-2004, 01:50 AM
I have a top sheet, Velux blanket, and cotton quilt on Charlotte's full size bed. However, she's in and out of the covers all night so we dress her in footy pjs anyway.

Momof3Labs
10-24-2004, 11:38 AM
Paula, how about an electric mattress pad? It works like an electric blanket, but since it stays on the mattress, Dante wouldn't just kick it off. I used to have one when I lived at home, and I know that we saw them a few years back when registering for our wedding gifts. Of course, not sure how well it would work when he is leaking through his dipes and three layers of clothes!! Have you tried a diaper doubler or maxi pad in his diaper at night? Or putting a cloth diaper cover over his disposable?

newbelly2002
10-28-2004, 03:44 PM
Sorry, Lori, I didn't see this earlier. Electric mattress pad, interesting idea....

The soaking issues seem to have resolved themselves, but now he's waking because he's cold again. Argh! I like the idea of the mattress pad. But how would you control it? Or would one leave it on a low setting all night?

Paula
Mama to Dante, 8/02

Momof3Labs
10-31-2004, 09:26 PM
Hmmm, well you could leave it on low all night. Or I wonder if you could use a timer (like people use for their lamps) to cycle it off and on through the night, particularly for the time when Dante normally gets cold??

naomi01
11-03-2004, 04:12 PM
Hi guys,

DS is 23 months now and we are also about to transition soon to a real bed - I thought I might mention that we will probably continue to do what we do now as far as covers, at least until he holds still more at night.

We still use a sleepsack! Our current brand is www.babyinabag.com and the biggest size will probably fit at least for another year (I think safari pattern is the nicest). In addition I do either cotton or fleece PJs depending on how cold it is.

An added advantage at the moment is we are safety-pinning the zip at the bottom (it zips down to the bottom of the bag) which traps him in the bag, and stops him climbing out of the crib at night until his big-boy bed arrives. If he is out of the crib he is perfectly capable of toddling around in the sack... but that's another story.

Well that's what we do, hope this helps someone!

Naomi
DS 12/02/02
DD 10/18/04