PDA

View Full Version : Need another Crib?

o_mom
09-10-2004, 06:34 PM
Hi Everyone,

We are expecting #2 and DS will be about 19 months when the new one arrives. Any thoughts on whether to get a second crib or try and move DS to a "big bed" of some sort?

Thanks!

houseof3boys
09-11-2004, 07:54 AM
We are struggling with this decision too. I asked one of my favorite people on these boards what she would do (momof3labs) and she said that she would put a twin mattress on the floor with pillows around it! Ryan is too little for a real big boy bed and we are still toying with a toddler bed for him. I figured the new baby will be in our room for at least 2 months so that buys me a little more time.

There have been threads from time to time about this and a toddler bed seems to be the favored choice since some will use until they are 3.5 years old.

LBW
09-12-2004, 01:39 PM
I'd second the idea of using a twin mattress on the floor. You might purchase another crib and then find you won't use it. What if your son starts climbing out of the crib soon? My son is 23 months now and we started him in a twin mattress on the floor at 18-19 months when he tried to climb out of his crib. Now he sleeps in a twin bed. I keep the crib mattress under the bed and slide it out when he's in bed to cushion any falls. So far, he hasn't fallen out, though.

COElizabeth
09-12-2004, 10:52 PM
I decided to buy a second crib because my DS tends to play in his crib for an hour or more before falling asleep at every nap and every bedtime. He also plays in it for a while in the morning. I really felt I would be spending hours and hours keeping him still enough to fall asleep, and I didn't want to do that with a newborn. Since he seems to like his crib so much and doesn't climb out (yet!), I felt it was the best choice for us. I'd wait until a couple of months before your #2 arrives and assess the situation then, if you aren't already at that point. Some kids are ready earlier than others to make the switch!

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02
EDD #2, 10-30-04

Momof3Labs
09-13-2004, 12:07 AM
LOL, that must have been my advice of the week, Debbi! The crib mattress on the floor with pillows around it worked when Colin was boycotting his crib for naps. But now he's back in the crib full-time (which makes life sooooo much easier for me) and hopefully will be there for a long time. Climbing out doesn't mean that you have to move to a big bed - crib tents can contain toddlers for quite a while.

Since it is hard to say whether you'll need two cribs or not, can you borrow a crib from someone for a little while?

darby24
09-13-2004, 02:42 AM
My two nephews are 22 months apart, but the transition has worked here.

Nephew J was having a hard time around 18 months at sleeping by himself. He would end up in their bed - and that's where he would always take his nap (he also naps at my place on my bed.) When he would wake up on the adult bed he would just stay in the bed, never get off. Around this time he stayed with me for the first time and slept on a twin mattress on the ground. He did perfect, never leaving the mattress. I should mention, he was never a crib climber or would play for very long in the crib.

My sister and bil went and got a toddler bed from a consignment store and he did great. He even fell off the bed one night and didn't even notice! (My sister did go buy a rail after this.) Since his bedroom is small, I took down the crib for her and just brought in the cradle. The crib has now been moved back in (as has his brother) and he's not interested in it at all.

Jay is still doing great in his bed, the first few nights he liked to sit up and play but he would never get off the bed. Since then he has gotten out of bed maybe 3 times total. He takes a while to fall asleep, sometimes as much as 2 hours but it's funny he will never get out of bed! Lucky I guess.

The borrowing of a crib sounds good, or even trying a mattress on the floor and see what reaction you get. It could surprise you like it surprised us. (yup I'm close to my sister, we see each other every day!)