PDA

View Full Version : snug tucks - what are they filled with?

momtoB
10-15-2004, 02:25 PM
First of all here's my problem (I'll try to make this short and sweet): DS co-sleeps with us. DH is leaving town on a business trip in two days and I still have not found a solution to the "co-sleeping problem" this creates. The bed is a heavy wooden sleigh bed and cannot be moved to put one side against the wall (not to mention it would look terrible). In a pinch, we use pillows which I know is not the safest however we only do this when one of us is still in bed with ds and only for a short time (never all night). The bed is rather high so I am really concerned about ds falling off (or crawling off head first).

I just found the snug tuck web site and am wondering what they're made of? I would just order one however it's too late at this point to expect to receive it before dh leaves. Unfortunately, ds won't sleep in his crib. I have been wondering why we ever bought one :(. This looks like the perfect solution but if I make something I want it to be safe. What exactly is the snug tuck pillow made of? I couldn't find any info on their web page.

Thanks for your help,
Cheryl
ds-4/21/03

lmintzer
10-16-2004, 04:42 PM
We have one, but I'm not 100% sure what it's made of. It's fairly light-weight and it feels like some kind of foam. It's quite firm--not something that would endanger a baby who rolled up against it. The cover is cotton and velcros on down the length of the whole pillow. I would think it would be great for co-sleepers. We use ours on ds#1's big boy bed so that he doesn't fall out in his sleep.

MimiSirois
10-16-2004, 09:11 PM
Hi Cheryl,

I know this isn't the answer to your question, but since you're short on time, what about piling pillows and a blanket on the floor in the event he does fall off? Not sure if that's a dumb (unsafe) suggestion (after seeing someone leave their toddler in their car today while they went shopping, it doesn't feel like a dumb one). I think I'm partly assuming you won't have any problems since I never had a problem with my daughter falling off our queen size bed while we were sleeping (only while we were awake!). Of course, I never slept quite as soundly knowing that nothing was on the other side to protect her from falling off. And she usually snuggles up into me so I suppose that helps me feel safer.

But if he doesn't sleep in his crib, I guess it could be worth it to buy/make something because he could probably use it when you move him into his own bed. Hope you're working it out ok.

HTH,
Michele

momtoB
10-16-2004, 10:44 PM
Thank you both for your responses. I went out today and bought a twin size eggshell mattress and rolled it up lengthwise. I actually had to put a couple of my beach towells rolled up in the middle because the twin size didn't make a big enough roll and it wasn't quite firm enough either. I bought some fabric and velcro to cover it with. I still need to sew a "belt" on it to hold it to the bed, but I'm pretty happy with how it's turning out so far. Maybe this coming summer I can buy a pool noodle to stick in the middle of the roll so I can get my beach towells back, LOL. I think for something I just "Gerry-rigged" it will work ok. He tends to move around a lot when he has the room so I want to make sure he doesn't just roll off the bed in his sleep.

Thanks again!

Cheryl

jubilee
10-19-2004, 05:49 AM
Are you putting it under the fitted sheet too? Or will you have it lay on top of the sheet? Just trying to imagine this for future use, maybe.

momtoB
10-19-2004, 07:46 PM
I am putting it on top of the covers. I sewed a strap on each end that goes under the mattress to hold it on the bed.

sparkeze
11-21-2004, 10:27 PM
DOn't know if it's too late now, but if you have a crib mattress that's not being used you could put it on the floor next to the bed in case of a fall.