PDA

View Full Version : Snugtuck question

marinkitty
11-21-2004, 07:44 PM
I know that there has been a hubbub on here about the Snugtuck owner pushing her product without stating that she is the owner, which I have to say I find very distasteful, but we are in a dilemma and I'm wondering if her product (which I have read anything bad about, notwithstanding the owner's ethics on this site) is the best thing for our needs . . .

We just set up Mia's twin bed in her new room. We plan on using a second crib until she is ready to move to the new bed, but already she is loving getting up on the new bed and rolling around, laying on it etc. I really want to encourage this as I think she will ultimately transition more smoothly if she is comfortable spending time in the bed. The bed is designed to be a bunk so it is wider than the matress by about 3 inches or so. We have it pushed against the wall, but there is a 4 inch gap between the wall and bed that I could see her easily falling down into and getting hurt/stuck. At first I thought I'd just push pillows in there, but I tried it and it looks really bad.

For any of you that have a snugtuck, have you used to it fill in a gap like this vs. as a traditional bedrail? I'm thinking, looking at the site, that it is the perfect size for this and will look much better than a scrunched bed pillow. I could also get a bolster or body pillow that would do the same thing, but figure the snugtuck would have another use down the line.

Any thoughts? Or any alternative suggestions?

Thanks!

Holly
Mom to Mia (3.17.03)
Another March baby EDD (3.22.05)

http://lilypie.com/days/050322/0/0/1/-6/.png

Hallie_D
11-22-2004, 12:44 PM
Hi Holly,
I don't have a snug tuck, but I have a similar problem of a 3-4 inch gap between the edge of the mattress and the wall on DS' bed. Our solution has been to firmly tuck DS' blanket underneath the edge of the mattress closest to the wall, and then line the side of the bed with stuffed animals, sort of wedging their bottoms into the space. He never comes anywhere near the wall-edge of the bed because of the stuffed animal barrier, and if he did roll over there, he would wedge the animals further down the space and then be on top of them. We make sure they are all wedged in tightly at bedtime and they are always in place in the morning, even though DS tosses and turns throughout the night.

DS is older than your DD, though...I'm not sure if you would feel comfortable putting stuffed animals in her bed yet. We transitioned DS to his "big boy bed" at about 21 months and he's had a pillow, blanket and stuffed animals in the bed since day one. If this is unsafe, please email me instead of calling DCFS! :-)

HTH,

marinkitty
11-23-2004, 08:31 PM
Thanks Hallie. No worries about stuffed animals here. She has four, one in each corner of her crib, that sleep with her. Probably from about a year or so. No pillows or blankets yet b\c she still has bumpers in her crib that she rests her head on and sleeps in a Halo sack.

She certainly has plenty of stuffed animals to spare but I think they would get lost in this space - it swallows half a standard size pillow. I'll have to give it a try and see how it looks. Mind you, I bought a new cheap crib today at Ikea so it will be months and months until we actually try having her sleep in the twin bed, but I envision this gap being a danger even just in "getting acquainted" with the bed since her favorite thing to do since we got the bed is run around on it and flop all over the place.

Holly
Mom to Mia (3.17.03)

pjkart
12-01-2004, 03:46 PM
Hi Holly,

I do have a snug tuck pillow and use it exactly how you are suggesting. DS is 2.5 and we just moved him into his new room to make way for the baby. His new twin bed has the same issue so I put the snug tuck pillow into the crack and was able to secure it to the bed frame. It works well although it isn't as deep as the mattress so there is still a small indentation of about 2-3 inches which I have some pillows resting on top of. The good news is I know he cannot get stuck in the crack! I actually was thinking of getting another snug tuck to put on top of the one so that there is a little cushion against the wall as well as DS sometimes bups his head against the wall when he is moving around at night.

Kristine - Mom to darling Louis - 6/19/02
Christmas present Edd 12/20/04 (If it is a girl I am leaning towards Holly for a christmassy name!)

mybabyboy
12-02-2004, 09:56 AM
What is a Snugtuck?

momtoB
12-02-2004, 11:49 AM
Hi,
I made my own version of the snug tuck using an eggshell mattress, rolled up lengthwise. I bought some inexpensive muslin fabric & sewed a simple cover for it, securing it lengthwise with velcro. One thing I would do differently - I bought a twin size eggshell mattress but it wasn't "full" enough when rolled up so I had to roll a couple of old towells up in it to make it a little bigger. If I had to do it over, I would buy a full or queen size. This was a very inexpensive alternative for me. Just thought I would mention it.

Cheryl
ds-4/21/03

Hallie_D
12-02-2004, 04:06 PM
Cheryl, that is a cool idea!

marinkitty
12-02-2004, 08:40 PM
Kristine - Thanks. It is good to know it works for this - I think we are going to get one and try it out.

Holly
Mom to Mia (3.17.03)