PDA

View Full Version : toddler bed or twin?

ehmom
01-05-2005, 06:43 PM
what do you all think is better? we're moving out of the crib soon. any advice on which is the way to go?
thanks,
em

justinsmom
01-07-2005, 02:01 PM
We got twin bunk beds for our son, but didn't stack them on top of each other (until he's older). He sleeps on the bed that has the rail and it works out great. And it will be fun when he has friends sleep over. Toddler beds aren't really necessary. Hope this helps.
Mom to Justin 11/01

alisa3
01-08-2005, 07:16 AM
Hi-
I would also recommend twin beds like the last mom posted....we also bought twin bunk beds as well when my first son was a little over a year old...(I was already pregnant with another baby and knew they would be 17 months apart so I needed the crib for my little one)..(but we keep the beds separate in each of their rooms)When Brendan was around 17-18 months old, I started transitioning him to the "big boy bed"...first I put the crib mattress on the floor next to his bed and let him sleep on that for naps, then I put him in the twin bed for naps and then he gradually slept in that bed all the time...I'm so glad that I went right to a twin bed...one less transition (skipping the toddler bed). If you were a little afraid of the twin bed at first, you could try putting the mattress on the floor and letting the child get used to the larger mattress first w/o the worry that he/she would fall. Now both my boys are in twin beds in their rooms and someday, if I want to I could combine them into twin beds or keep them separate..it's nice having that option. Right from the start, I could buy twin size sheets and not waste buying toddler sheets that would someday be useless...hope that helps..Good luck!
Alisa Anderson
Brendan (4)
Evan (2 1/2)

Sarah1
01-17-2005, 11:40 PM
Audrey is still in her crib, but I recently ordered a twin bed (which is being delivered tomorrow!) so that when she's ready to make the move to a "big girl bed" it will be ready in her room.

I considered a toddler bed but a twin just made more sense. If you buy a toddler bed, in a couple of years (or less?) you have to make yet another transition to a bigger bed...my feeling is just make the transition now and don't deal with buying another bed in a few years, KWIM? Hopefully Audrey can sleep in her twin bed for many, many years to come!

Good luck with the transition! We'll all have to check in on each other and see how it goes :)

ainwonderland
01-19-2005, 03:56 PM
We bought a toddler bed, predominately because of DD age of 20months, the need for the crib for her new brother once he outgrew the bassinet, and finally financial reasons.

While I agree with the PP that a twin would be the way to go if A) the toddler was older and B) you had the money to make the transition. We currently are making two house payments and I didnt' have the money to spend on a quality twin bed and then twin sheets, blankets, mattress pads, etc.

Instead we "splurged" :-) and spent $70 on a toddler bed where we utilized her expensive crib mattress, crib mattress pad, pink sheets and comforter I made for her nursery. I did then have to spend ~$25 on a new foam crib mattress for the crib (which I wish I would have done the first time around!), and I did buy a new blue cribsheet (and ended up getting another free).

I figure we will get about 2 years use out of it then our son can use it for another 2 years. By that time hopefully our other house will sell (oh pullllease) and I can afford to buy the twin ensemble I'd like.

Oh and another bonus to the toddler bed was that it was close to the ground and easier for Macey to get in and out of (she's a little developmentally delayed, e.g., not walking until 18 months), also most crib mattresses are waterproof, whereas twin mattresses are not. I thought these would be good things for potty training.

One thing I didn't think of is that there is no real room for either myself or her daddy to sit on the bed in the middle of the night when she needs soothing. Yes, I still sit on the edge but I'm sure I'm not supposed to :-)

Good luck with your choice!