PDA

View Full Version : Youth Furniture versus 'Regular' Furniture

annesa
03-13-2005, 08:50 AM
Is youth furniture truly different than buying a 'regular' bedroom set with a twin bed? We are looking for furniture for our three year old and I was comparing dimensions..... and it looks like youth furniture is only slightly smaller. So, is it worth it to go with youth furniture and are we going to need to replace it down the line when they are teenagers? Does anyone know if there are different safety regulations for children's furniture? Any advice? Thanks in advance ! Anne

lukkykatt
03-14-2005, 12:59 PM
I have had our younger son in a bed since 21 months and it has been fine - I don't know of any advantage to a youth set over a regular twin. I was wondering how hard it is to find bedding for youth furniture - have you checked that out? Or since the sizes are close do you just use twin stuff? Just thinking out loud...

amp
03-21-2005, 04:01 PM
In my unending search for a twin bed for my son, most furniture stores only carry twin beds in the "youth" section. Now, there are toddler beds out there too, but those are generally at baby stores, rather than furniture stores. In my experience, twin beds/youth furniture are the same, at least when I call a local store. We've even asked about whether they carry any other twin beds and the answer is generally "no". All I know is that we are buying a twin bed, that fits a twin mattress. It will likely be found in the kids section of the furniture store, as are the dressers and matching pieces.

annesa
03-24-2005, 08:18 AM
This makes sense... we are finding the same thing. If we order 'regular' furniture, we are going to have purchase a full or queen sized bed. The difference is minimal in the height, etc.... and I don't even know if it would seem that different. I just don't want to face a teenager wanting different furniture because youth furniture is small.

Also, to the other messager in the thread, I *think* the twin bed is standard i.e., just like a twin, but the height of the dressers, nightstands etc... are just shorter. So, bedding wise, I think it's standard. I agree that if there is a difference in size, it is probably so minor that it wouldn't really matter.

Thanks for the input ! Anne