PDA

View Full Version : Toddler bed vice "big kid" bed

Steamncup
03-21-2005, 09:43 PM
Hello, all!!

I have a quandry and need some help!! We are on the verge of needing to buy a real bed for our 21 month old daughter; she isn't climbing out of her pack and play yet(long story....we recently moved from CA to TN and our stuff - to include her crib - is STILL in storage because our house STILL isn't done....been in a temp/furnished apt since 02 Feb.....aaarrggghhh), but I fear that she will soon. Also, she is growing A LOT and will really start needing the room to move around at night soon.

My husband and I cannot agree on either a toddler bed or something like a daybed with a trundle. Pottery Barn makes a nice looking, reasonably priced toddler bed, but I won't pay the price they ask for their day bed, with OR without a trundle. I found this one at Ballard Designs (http://www.ballarddesigns.com/bd/pdp.jsp?prod_oid=282828&showarrow=y&category_key=-15114&cursor=2) and would love to hear what others think of it. It is priced much better than the Pottery Barn option AND has the backboard as well as a "headboard" and "footboard". I've ordered odds and ends from Ballard before and have been quite happy with my purchases.

Any feedback and/or advice is GREATLY appreciated!!!!!! Thanks ahead of time!!!!!!! :-)

Deborah

Audrey's mommy 19 Jun 2003

amp
03-23-2005, 08:30 AM
I think part of the reason so many people go straight to a twin bed/big kid bed is price. Most toddlers do not last long in toddler beds, and many do quite well in twin beds/big beds.

We are in the process of buying a twin bed for our son. We have no intention of buying a toddler bed, due to the extra cost involved for a short term solution. Our crib will allow us to remove a side to make a "toddler bed", but that is only something we plan to use for a couple of weeks to see if he is ready for the big bed and while we await delivery.

I personally would invest your money directly into the bigger bed you want and skip the toddler bed. If you are concerned about moving to such a big bed, you can start with the mattress on the floor for a week ro two and make the transition that way. Just my 2 cents.

Steamncup
04-03-2005, 09:43 PM
Thanks so much for your input! We have decided to hold off on buying the "big kid" furniture for just a bit. Since her crib is a 4in1 Babi Italia, we can either use it as a day bed or (with purchase of the conversion kit) toddler bed. Of course, this can only happen when we get our STUFF out of STORAGE!!!!

Thanks again!!

Deborah
Audrey's mommy 19 Jun 2003