PDA

View Full Version : Good quality twin bed? One you would never buy again?

Phx115
04-12-2005, 02:22 PM
Excluding what has been written in the Toddler Bargains, are there any other manufacturers out there that you like or dislike?

We really like the boat-shaped beds. I've heard negative things about PBK so I am questioning that one. The other one I saw was at Posh Tots but, frankly, at almost $2000, that one is just too expensive.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Kristy
DS Eric 5-28-03

raynjen
04-12-2005, 07:12 PM
Unfortunately I am in the same position as you in that we are searching for the "perfect" furniture for our daughter right now.

However, we were just in the states and did an intensive search looking at some of the top brands (PBK, EG Furniture, Ragazzi, etc.) I was fully prepared to DISlike PBK as I thought it was too expensive. I found though that PBK was in line pricewise with all other quality children's furniture. I saw the boat bed in person an absolutely LOVED it! We would be getting it except that my husband is in the Air Force and has a natural aversion to boats (its an interservice rivalary thing - no boats for his kid!) The matching pieces were nice as well... PBK has dovetail joints and real wood drawers. My only peeve with them is that only the Camp Collection comes with full extension drawer glides and the Camp Collection doesn't come in white!

What have you heard negative about PBK? I'm kind of limited on what I see and hear being stationed overseas...

Thanks,
Jen in Okinawa
Mom to Noelle who is almost 3 1/2!

Phx115
04-13-2005, 02:41 PM
I have just heard some people say that a lot of the stuff is wood veneers as opposed to real wood. Some say the furniture feels a little too light ... but that can be good or bad depending on how you look at it. Some said they just didn't feel it was worth the cost.

I just love that boat bed, though. His nursery theme was nautical as well. And, I went ahead and ordered a lot of the nautical bedding from PBK early last year when it went on sale, but before it was discontinued.

We have a PB outlet near us, so I might start calling to see if they ever get any of those beds in. That would be sooo awesome. I've checked out their stuff there and some of the furniture has some scratches and stuff, but the prices are really slashed so I think it would be worth a few scratches.

Otherwise, my DH might actually try to build him a bed. He has a huge woodworking shop in our basement. Between you and me, though, the thought makes me a little nervous.

Kristy
DS Eric 5-28-03

raynjen
04-13-2005, 06:49 PM
Well, I'm not a furniture builder, but I do have a lot of experience with wood and building and PBK pieces are quality. They probably do have some veneered pieces (most high quality pieces do have some), but if they do they are in locations where it won't affect the quality, like in inset panels. In other words, you toddler won't be able to peel up the veneer.

I noticed that the case pieces for the nautical bed are buried on the third page of the online catalog. Also they don't show everything that they sell online (which seems odd to me as that is where most people go to do their initial research). For example, they no longer show the white 'train table' on the website, but the saleswoman assured me that they carry it still and have no plans on dropping it from the lineup.

I considered building my daughter's bed as well (my father has an enormous workshop and we have built houses together - I was an architect prior to being a stay at home mom), but I'm not too sure about my FINE woodworking skills. There is a heck of a difference between hammering a 2 x 4 and dealing with quality lumber. My fear is that I will either make it too heavy to move or not sturdy enough to hold up to the rigors of children and movers!

By the way there is a new Trading Spaces book out - Instant Impact where they do a nautical theme in a playroom on a houseboat. They have some very clever ideas that aren't too over the top (signal flag valences and such). Hope you get the room of your dreams!

Jen in Okinawa
Mom to a wonderful preschooler,
who just turned three, Noelle!

Phx115
04-18-2005, 09:21 PM
Thanks for the tip about the Trading Spaces book. I also think you hit the nail on the head (pardon the pun) when you mentioned if you (or my DH) built one it might turn out too heavy, or (more my concern) it won't stand up to the energy of young children.

Good luck to you too!

Kristy
DS Eric 5-28-03

rclasco
06-01-2005, 12:53 PM
I have not read the Toddler Bargains book. However, two manufacturer's that make solid wood furniture at decent prices are Moosehead (www.mooseheadfurniture.com) and Mother Hubbard's Cupboards (www.mhcfurniture.com).

We have furniture from both manufacturer's in our house. My son's nursery consisted of a Morigeau crib & Mother Hubbard dresser. My husband is a novice woodworker & thought the MH was better built. Plus, we weren't going to pay Morigeau prices. We just got my son a Moosehead twin bed to go with his MH dresser. We've had a Moosehead bedroom suite for about 6 years & only have good things to say.