PDA

View Full Version : Transition to twin bed - keeping your kid in bed & headboard slats?

Mabster
01-10-2006, 03:17 AM
Well, DD fell out of her crib a few weeks before Christmas. We immediately took down the crib and DD has been sleeping on her crib mattress on the floor. I finally chose a new twin sized bed and it is being delivered on Friday.

I'm debating how to set up her bed. We have a metal bedframe and DH's headboard. The mattress is 12" thick and boxspring 9". I'm debating whether I should put the set on the metal frame, place the boxsping with mattress on the floor, or just use the mattress alone on the floor. Currently DD stays in bed about 50% of the time, but I often hear her running around after putting her down, and I also find her pillow, blankets & teddy on the floor next to the mattress or behind the door, making me wonder if she sleeps on her mattress at all. DH theorizes that he doesn't want to make it too easy for her to get out & about, with the thought if she gets out of bed but can't get back in, she'll learn to stay in bed. I wonder if we make it too hard for her to get back in bed will she continue getting out then sleep on the floor all the time? Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

I'm toying about ordering a Snug Tuck as well. Haven't decided yet - I may try the pool noodle/towel method first.

Also, DH's headboard is a slat board from the mid 60's. Do the crib safety regulations govern headboards for toddlers as well?

Thanks in advance!

Robyn0204
02-03-2006, 03:17 PM
My son is 3.5 now and has been sleeping in a twin bed for about 1.5 years. We don't have a headboard so I can't comment on that...his bed is in the corner so it is pushed up against the wall along the side and the top. We set his box spring directly on the floor so that there would be less distance for him to fall (if he did). We also had a bed rail so that it would prevent him from falling out. This also caused him to have to crawl to the end of his bed if he wanted to get out. Made it harder I guess but not difficult to get out and he can easliy get back in if he needs to.

Good luck.

momtoB
02-04-2006, 10:33 AM
We have a similar setup as the pp, except we also have ds's twin bed on metal bedframe. The bed doesn't have a headboard and is pushed up into the corner of the room. I have a homemade "snugtuck" pillow along the side. DS's bedroom is rather full so at the end of his bed, which is also where the bedroom door is there's just enough room for his wicker hamper and his Osh Kosh upholstered chair. He uses the chair to climb in and out at the end of the bed. Not really what I thought it's purpose would be when we bought it but it works. :)

As far as the headboard goes, I would think that as long as there's no gaps that your dc could get caught in and potentially cause suffocation then it should be safe to use. Since I can't see it, it's really hard to judge. Sorry I can't be more help with that!