PDA

View Full Version : Preschoolians Shoes, Am i the only one?

pamela mom of 3
08-20-2004, 01:20 PM
Something has been bugging me about these shoes and while i think this is an unpopular opinion i'm gonna toss it out anyhow ;)

Does anyone else feel they lack ankle support? I do, and why

Compared to other brands, stride rite, new balance, right step, tarty etc etc they offer no heel counter in the shoes at least in the rugged hiker we tried, now i am not 100% certain whether all the styles are this way but i would assume so, if not please feel free in correcting me LOL

Why this bothers me? all of my children lean somewhat off to the side with one foot, i do this and they got it from me, in the preschoolains my son got worse, much worse in doing this beforehand he was wearing a tarty leather boot..it's a brand from Italy and while i won't say he still doesn't slightly lean even in those, it was again much worse in the rugged hiker because of the lack of heel counter.

I did/do really like the shoes, they were scuff proof and flexible and washed well but that for lack of a better description "slipper-like" support for the ankle truely bothers me, possibly if your children do not have weak ankles this is a non-issue i don't know but it is something that is bothering me with this brand :)

ETA: these shoes are from the "see you later" line

~Pamela Mom to the Trio Of Trouble http://smilies.jeeptalk.org/otn/angels/newangel.gif

http://messageboards.ivillage.com/iv-ppstrollers

s7714
08-20-2004, 02:34 PM
Admittedly, I've only bought one pair of shoes ever (not counting Robeez and Shoo Shoos) But they were a pair of Preschoolians WMS sandals and I was surprised at how big the ankle area seemed on them. It seems like such a large opening, I don't think it could provide any ankle support at all. (I know sandals generally always have less support, but these seemed to have a larger ankle area than any other sandal type shoes DD tried on.) I thought it might just be unique to that style of shoe or something. I figured I'd see how the next pair of Preschoolians non-sandals are when I order a new pair for the fall/winter, but no you have me wondering if they're going to be the same way!

Jennifer
Mommy to Annalia 03/03/03
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif

zuzu
08-20-2004, 02:59 PM
Interesting observation, and something I will definitely consider as we move out of the WMS line. (I think the ones you mention are part of the line for more experienced walkers.) We've only worn the WMS shoes and those have had very little ankle support, but I don't think they are supposed to because they are supposed to be closer to barefoot-style for cruisers and new walkers. You may want to ask Jeff (owner) about the ankle support/heel counter issue, to see if he could recommend or design a pair that might work better for you. Or, you may just have better luck with other brands.

As for the WMS Beach shoes, the opening was so large that they would not stay on and we had to exchange them for something else. Others had this problem as well (there were several posts on the Baby Layette section), and the last I heard (back in May/June) was that they were going to be redesigned. I doubt they would have been given lots more ankle support, but at least they were going to be redesigned to stay on better.

We're just starting to get into regular shoe wearing, so it helps to read everyone's opinions. :)

Melissa, mom to Sarah (5.10.03)

pamela mom of 3
08-20-2004, 03:16 PM
yes, sorry i should have mentioned these are for the advanced walkers...they were a size 25, maybe i should ask jeff, ds now has some newbalance runners which are supportive enough but i guess i am still disappointed that the preschoolians were not workable, i do enjoy their washablity LOL

~Pamela Mom to the Trio Of Trouble http://smilies.jeeptalk.org/otn/angels/newangel.gif

http://messageboards.ivillage.com/iv-ppstrollers

AngelaS
08-20-2004, 03:33 PM
LOL that you post this....I was going post if anyone else doesn't see the hype surrounding these shoes is about. Frankly, I think they're UGLY. I have bad feet and I'm a bit concerned my girls might inherit them, but I refuse to spend a fortune on shoes, let alone ones I think are ugly!

Of course, if someone wanted to post a picture of their child WEARING these shoes and convince me otherwise...go ahead, but looking at the website does NOT impress me. :)

zuzu
08-20-2004, 03:47 PM
There is one style that fits Sarah really well and I don't mind the look of those, but honestly I'm not thrilled with the look of many of them. (I've only looked a WMS styles though.) When I was exchanging a pair for a larger size earlier this week they told me they were out and asked if there was another style I wanted instead. I looked and had to tell them that those were the only ones I liked. Luckily, they found a pair in the warehouse for me.

I do like the flexibility (love the thin rubber sole) of the WMS line. And they wash up and resist scuffs well. I'm not sure I'd pay full price, but got two for the price of one minus 20%, so they were a pretty goood deal. That said, I found much cuter styles elsewhere for this fall.

Melissa, mom to Sarah (5.10.03)

kransden
09-15-2004, 05:08 PM
I have seen cuter shoes BUT my dd has inherited my very wide feet. So they work extremely well for her. She had a pair of the white mary janes this summer and they were extremely cute on her. I would take a picture, but they don't fit anymore!

Karin and Katie 10/24/02

calebsmama03
10-03-2004, 04:35 PM
Ditto -
DS has very chubby feet/high insteps and these are the ONLY shoes that work for him. With Stride Rite I have to get the next size up length wise for them to feet his chunka feet. :( I hope his feet will think out as he grows, as I can't see spending $50 for the larger sizes, but for now we're in the WMS and even though he's walking well, he really likes the flexible sole shoes. I'd agree that they are not the cutest things out there, and the ankle support could be better, but I think the WMS are such a unique design that it's worth it for the short time he needs these.
Lynne
Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]

jbrandy
10-16-2004, 09:42 PM
I have to say that I am in the same boat. My son also has a very wide foot and Preschoolians are the only ones that fit him well. We also had to go a size larger with Stride Rite to get them to fit even in the XW size. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who has problems finding shoes that are wide enough. I'm sticking with Preschoolians since they fit better.

Beth
Mom to Evan 4.3.04