PDA

View Full Version : Pants for a tall, skinny 2 year old?!

loewymartin
10-13-2004, 02:17 PM
Alia is fairly tall for her age (37") but thin (25 pounds on a good day). She is potty trained, so we lost the extra bulk in the butt to hold up her pants. Does anyone know of a line of pants that is cut slim? I just bought her a pair of Gymbo leggings sized 18-24 months and the waist is a bit big and the length is too short. That's the problem we seem to have, if the waist is close to fitting the length is way off. Some of the Circo pants fit in the waist quite well, but once I wash them the length is too short!

Anyone else have this problem? Are you just dressing your DD in dresses?! That's pretty much what I'm down to! TIA!

Michelle - Mom to Alia born 5/16/02

mamahill
10-13-2004, 10:32 PM
I don't know how tall Ainsleigh is, but I'm running into similar problems. For now, I'm buying leggings and rolling the waist down. I bought some 18m Circo pants (khaki and jeans?) and they're ok, but a little big in the waist. I just make sure to buy bigger shirts (2T) and make sure they cover the belly. Also - I've begun hang-drying her pants. I am dressing her in dresses with leggings every now and then, but not always. Up until now, I've relied a lot on capris because length doesn't matter, but they're not so great as it gets cooler outside.

Oh - and don't buy Old Navy clothes. I've had it - they fit great until you wash them and then they shrink a ton.

Hallie_D
10-14-2004, 01:58 PM
Hi Michelle! How are you?

I have a similar problem with Elijah--he is not as tall as Alia, but he is very thin--I don't know if he's even hit 25 lbs yet. Most 2T pants are too loose on him, but 18 month stuff is too short. Right now we are rolling the waistband down on almost every pair of his pants. Overalls work, but we are trying to get him potty trained and he can't get them off on his own. If only I could put him in a dress! I try to be gender neutral, but not THAT gender neutral! :-)

loewymartin
10-14-2004, 05:04 PM
Hi Hallie! How are you feeling?

Thanks for the recommendations ladies. I haven't thought to roll down her waist band since she pulls her pants up/down to use the potty. She had a pair of jeans on her yesterday (Talbots, size 2 so I thought they might be narrower) and realized she was putting her hands down the waistband thinking it was a pocket! It was gapping about 2 inches bigger than her waist (she had her shirt on first so I didn't realize until she walked away how big they were on her!) I obviously took them right off again and found a pair of Chico leggings.

Sigh, why was I never tall and thin?! I'd *love* to have this kind of problem now that I'm 33, 5'3" and not giving out my post-baby weight :-)

Michelle - Mom to Alia born 5/16/02

BethinMass
10-15-2004, 12:52 PM
A little late replying, but just saw this post :)

I love Gap for my skinny little girl for pants. From size 2 up most of their pants have an adjustable waist. Your able to make the waist smaller with buttons on the inside of the pants. This has also increased how long these pants fit her, some of her jeans she's been able to fit in a for a year.

Also, I remember Old Navy seeming to fit my skinny little girl pretty well. I was able to get pull up pants during potty training from there and most of them actually stayed up. I tend to size up when I buy clothes so I didn't see a huge problem for these fitting her for long. I have no doubt they did shrink, but since I always bought much more on the big end, it always worked out well.

Southerngirl75
10-15-2004, 03:15 PM
We have the same problem here too. My DD is very skinny and tall. I usually shopt at Gymbo and Old Navy. Old Navy seems to run smaller and fits her better around ther waist. I love gymbo so much though and can't quit shopping there so I just usually buy for lenght and roll up the pants at the waist to keep them up. I feel your pains I have the same ones. Skinny girls are hard to cloth.

MarinaTwinMom
10-18-2004, 12:44 AM
Definitely try Gymboree leggings (the kind that are sold folded with a paper band around them in the Gymboree stores). My tall, thin DD practically lives in them! :)

She does pretty well with Osh Kosh pants, too (the kind with the elastic waist).