PDA

View Full Version : More Winter Coats - Bean/LE

tbdw425
10-19-2004, 10:19 AM
I am in the market for winter coats for my boys (11 mos. and 29 mos). Anyone familiar with the Bean's Katahdin parka, Warm Up parka, or Warm Up Color Block Jacket? Also considering LE's Squall Park and Squall Jacket. I do not see the differences.

Any opinion regarding quality?

Any other brand suggestions?

We live in NYC, so our most frequent form of travel is the stroller and therefore, boys are exposed to the cold.

Many Thanks

pamela mom of 3
10-19-2004, 12:02 PM
My experience is with the lands end sport squalls, my son 3.5 and my one dd almost 6 has them, they've been warm but not bulky...my son used his with squall snowpants for outdoor snow play too :)

The LE parka vs jacket i think the parka is longer?

~Pamela Mom to the Trio Of Trouble http://smilies.jeeptalk.org/otn/angels/newangel.gif

http://www.tickercentral.com/view/36o/1.png[/img][/url]

tadylkat
10-19-2004, 01:24 PM
Last year my son (2.5 - 3 years at the time) wore a Columbia Parka that I had picked up at Talbot's Kids end of the season clearance the year prior. We were very happy with it. He is a rough and tumble type of guy and the coat still looks great. If he hadn't grown so much over the past year, I would use it again.

Here is a link to a similar parka at Kohl's:
http://www.kohls.com/products/product_page_vanilla3.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=1318 63029&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=153833311&bmUID=1098202458159

loewymartin
10-21-2004, 03:56 PM
I ebayed a brand new (last year's model) LE squall coat for Alia this week. It was $30 NWT and the tag on it said $64.50. I tried to find it at my local Sears, but they only carried size 4T and up and I need a 2T for her. You might want to look at your local Sears just to look at the squall coat. I like it. I bought red (for a potential hand-me-down!) and it looks very warm. We live in upstate NY so I needed warm! I bought black snow pants at TRU last year for $7 and she will use those to snowshoe and sled this winter with this jacket. I will pick up the LLBean gloves though as I've heard they are longer and great for little kids.

Over all I would recommend the LE Squall coat, but as she hasn't been through a season with it yet I can only comment on how I think it will be :-)

Michelle - Mom to Alia born 5/16/02

StantonHyde
10-26-2004, 01:52 AM
I live in Salt Lake City Utah and while it doesn't get really cold (about 20-30 degrees in the winter), it snows alot. I bought an LE parka last year and loved it. It launders up wonderfully and kept my son warm. The parka is longer and protects a bit more. The squall hat was also great for the cold. I bought one off of Ebay this year and saved about $15.

I ran all through last winter with my son in the jogging stroller. I wouldn't go out if it was 25 degrees or less (I was out for an hour) but the jacket worked well. The best thing was the Runneroo that I bought at joggingstroller.com. It's like a fleece lined sleeping bag that velcros into the stroller and you can zip it way up to keep them warm.

For sledding, I bought a snowsuit at a used kids clothing store for $25. I got it too big and will use it this year. I went back to the store this year and they had a set of a Bean jacket, pants and gloves--great bargain. I didn't end up using the LE pants--too much work--and returned them at the end of the season.

Also--REI is really great for kids jackets and snowsuits and they sell toddler long underwear!