PDA

View Full Version : adjustable jeans for toddlers and snow boots?

kasi
01-06-2005, 11:33 AM
Hi all!

My 21 month old daughter is tall and thin. So I have a real problem with any pants that are not stretch pants or overalls. I'd really like to get her a pair of jeans. The Gap 18 month jeans fit around the waist but are several inches too short. The Gap 24 month jeans are a good length but fall right off her waist. Does anyone have any suggestions of a brand or know where I could get an adjustable waist jean for her? Jeans are so cute, but I don't want her wearing something that doesn't fit her properly.

Also, I'm really struggling with boots for her. I don't like the Lands End boots because they are too stiff and inflexible. Should I try the Kamik's? Any other suggestions? I saw another post about Ecco at Nordstrom. I'm going to call them too.

Any help would be appreciated!

Kasi

raynjen
01-06-2005, 06:14 PM
Well, we have a store here in Japan called "Comme Ca Ism" that carries jeans for toddlers that have adjustable waists (like pregnancy jeans with the adjustable elastic on the inside). I just did a web search on them and they must be a strictly Japanese thing because I can't find ANY websites in English. However, if you manage to find a way to purchase them, they carry wonderful quality goods - very high end. You will probably pay about - hmmmm (let me do the exchange rate in my head) - $35/$40 for a pair of jeans. Their shirts are VERY Japanese, ummm, lots of weird English sayings on them ("the wind from America to You!") or ruffles in odd places.

What I did before we found these (and still do as I can't afford their clothes for everything she wears) is take tucks in the sides. This is pretty basic sewing and doesn't have to be very pretty if they wear their shirt untucked. Basically turn the pants inside out. Find a section of waistband that bend fairly easily (not at a seam, or elastic, or a beltloop) and pinch about 1/2" on either side. Sew just on the waistband (not below). Turn right side out and your done!

Jen in Okinawa
Mom to a wonderful preschooler,
who just turned three, Noelle!

JElaineB
01-06-2005, 10:04 PM
No suggestions on the jeans, DS wears sweatpants all the time for the same reason.

As for the boots, I had the Lands End boots last year and decided to get a more flexible boot this year. I went with the Snow Plow boots from LL Bean and I'm very happy with them. They are easy to get on and off, have a warm lining and are flexible for DS to be able to walk in easily. Their website is being flaky right now so I can't post a link, but you should be ablet to find them at http://www.llbean.com under Kids/Toddler/Footwear.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

Momof3Labs
01-08-2005, 09:07 PM
www.babystyle.com has adjustable waist jeans, but they seem to run a bit long. Target has some (gender neutral) Cherokee jeans for $5.99 in the boys section that moms of skinny kids are pretty happy with, too.

MamaKath
01-09-2005, 12:31 AM
My older child is able to wear Gap slim jeans but I am not sure they have them in toddler sizes. If their 24 months fit in length, I would look at the 2ts. They tend to be a slimmer cut to begin with but not usually longer than 24 month clothes, and often you can get slims. I know Levi's makes boys slim sizes in 2t-4t sizes.

As for boots, most that are warm are fairly inflexible since they build the warmth in all the way around the foot. I can't tell you about Ecco's and Kamik's but I know www.sierratradingpost.com often has them on close outs. Maybe finding something like an Ugg knockoff, waterproofing it (spray stuff), and buying good snowboarding socks (merino wool) for warmth would work? The soles on those are more of a crepe style and tend to be flexible.

HTH~

trumansmom
01-11-2005, 04:48 PM
I'm not sure for girls, but last year DS wore Children't Place elastic waist jeans in an 18 month, and they fit him better than anything else. He's 75% for height, and 15-25% for weight. However, he is longish through the torso instead of legs, so that may make a difference.

Another thought, if you're not opposed to boy jeans, the LE climber pants fit like sweatpants. DS has LOTS of these, but still tends to wear lots of sweats as well.

Good luck.

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04

kittie13
01-15-2005, 02:58 PM
I understand that Gap has adjustable toddler jeans like their pgncy jeans. Here's a link to them: http://www.gap.com/asp/Product.asp?wdid=630101&wpid=205486

HTH,
Kittie

stefani
01-16-2005, 03:38 PM
Hi Kasi,

I was looking at Preschoolians boots (I am Walking Barefoot version). I think they are snow boots. I believe they are waterproof. I was considering it for DS, but it doesn't get that cold here (at least I won't let him walk around outside if it were cold!). I like their shoes because the sole is flexible and yet sturdier than the suede bottoms (Pitter Patters/ Robeez/ Bobux/ Shoo Shoos like).

slknight
01-18-2005, 08:53 PM
DS has a pair of Kamik boots and they are awesome. They are easy to get on (they zip), they're warm (rated to -25F, I think), and DS loves wearing them. HTH.

He has a few pair of Ecco shoes (live near an outlet), and we have been very happy with them too.

Alanasmama
11-05-2005, 02:53 AM
H&M has adjustable waist jeans that are all super cute and only cost about 19 bucks a pop my daughter has a pair of paper denim and cloth jeans and I like the H&M ones better than those.

Elilly
11-07-2005, 09:13 PM
Carter's makes an adjustable waist bootcut jean that has worked wonders for my tall 27 lb almost 3 year old DD. We have a carter's store here in Indy that carries them. I haven't seen them at Kohl's, Target etc.
I'm just dreaming of summer again. Shorts are so much easier!