PDA

View Full Version : Pants/Shorts with huge waists?

kohlbacher
01-30-2005, 02:07 PM
My son is 20.5 months old and still has yet to grow into his waist. He is very big for his age, but his proportions are appropriate making clothes very hard. His waist is nearly 23" Those adjustable waists don't work since he's too big at the largest setting. Right now, I search out pants with buttons and use an elastic to get a couple more inches out of them. (Many of you likely remember doing that in first trimester!) Husky pants don't work - they're great for the waist but have far too much fabric otherwise. I don't mind rolling pants, but the husky sizes are extreemly wide too. DS is wearning 4T's right now with elastics. Even 6's are often too small in the waist. Do you have any hints?

*Length-wise, he should be 3T for pants and 4T for shirts.

August Mom
01-31-2005, 08:43 PM
These may not be big enough, but you might want to take a look. I have the opposite problem (DS has a tiny waist - 18"). I have found Talbots Kids pants to run very large in the waist. In the 18-24 month size. I believe the waist was 22.5 inches. They usually have some styles that are all elastic waists and others with zippers.

kohlbacher
01-31-2005, 10:07 PM
I just checked their website. They don't hit 22.5 inches until a size 7, which is far too long for my toddler. According to their chart, he should be in a 4, which only has a waist of 21" I appreciate the suggestion though!

August Mom
02-04-2005, 10:07 PM
They still may not work, but I wouldn't totally trust the chart. Especially if you can try them in person, I would still check them out. Even the clerks talk about how "generous" the sizing is. We tried on a 2 Slim (which according to the chart is supposed to be an 18.5" waist) and it wasn't close to fitting. If you don't have a store near you, you can call one and see if they can physically measure a couple of styles that you like. Talbots would do that sort of thing for you, I think.

Good luck. I hope you find something that works.

kalebsmama
02-04-2005, 10:20 PM
Chanda, the slims were still too big? I have been wanting to try them since DS is pretty slim. How is the selection? Any with all elastic waists? Now that DS is in underwear, I have a hard time keeping his pants up! I might stop there next month before we meet if I can get there early enough! I also have store credit at the shoe store to use!

To the OP, sorry to hijack your post. I have a friend whose 2yr old is pretty big in the waist. I'll ask her what she has found to work for her. Good luck!

ak_becky_book
02-15-2005, 05:23 PM
For the mom with a boy, an idea occured to me for your problem. You might try a pair of longer shorts in the bigger sizes (4T). The legs on the shorts might be long enough for your toddler with a bigger waist.

For the girls, use shorts or capri pants in the larger sizes.

Just an idea.

Rebecca
Mom to Samantha
12/1/02

August Mom
02-15-2005, 07:19 PM
Jan,

We're hoping that the slims will work for us, but right now DS is still too short for them. Once we reach a 2, we're hoping that slims and/or an adjustable waist will solve our problem. According to the sizing chart, the slim waist should work, but you really don't know until you try them on.

I was looking through the newest catalog and saw that there are pants that are all elastic waist. However, the store generally has more selection than shown in the catalog for infant and toddler/little boys. The catalog seems to favor older girls.

I did try some of the adjustable waist pants at BabyGap (in a 2T). I had them drawn up as much as possible and the waist would have been passable, but surely not comfortable. However, they were way too long and rather baggy under the bottom.

nitaghei
02-16-2005, 12:02 PM
We have the opposite problem (my kid is so skinny Gymbo pants fall off, even with CDs).

Two suggestions:

Naartjie
www.naartjie.com

The ordering process is a pain, but the shorts run wiiiiiide!! I got two pairs, and they probably won't fit him in the waist until he's 10 years old! I will probably have these up on Swap soon, which I hate to do.

And

Hanna Andersson

www.hannaandersson.com

Not cheap. I've given up on Hanna because the clothes just don't work for my DS - everything is just too wide.

I also agree with PPs about trying Talbot's Kids. I saw these IRL recently. The waist looked huge - way bigger than the size charts would suggest.

HTH

Nita
mom to Neel, January 2003
dog mom to a PWD and a cocker(at the Rainbow Bridge)

kohlbacher
02-16-2005, 01:03 PM
Thanks!!!

I checked out the sizing chart at Naartjie and it's so different from any I've ever seen. DS is actually in their 3 using both his weight and height. In many brands, he's in a 3 for height, but a 5 for weight. The prices look responsable too.

Alanasmama
11-05-2005, 02:49 AM
Depending on whee you live if you have an H&M in your city they are great for pants because they have a waistband on the inside that can bee tightened a whole bunch.

MelissaTC
11-09-2005, 10:24 PM
I have found that the waist in Mulberribush pants tend to run larger.

freedom
11-27-2005, 08:09 PM
Our son has a small waist, and a lot of babygap pants have been too big in the waist (especially since he turned 2)