PDA

View Full Version : Elastic waist pants versus traditional fly

cara1
02-06-2005, 10:04 PM
(cross-post from Reality Layette). Since DS began potty training at 2 1/2, I'm only putting him in elastic waist pants so that he can pull them down himself. He just got two nice pairs of pants for his 3rd birthday that have flies. He probably wouldn't wear them for at least 6-12 mos. (They're a 3T, and he's still wearing 24 mos/2T in pants). By that time, do you think he could handle doing his own fly? Not sure if I should return them and continue to only use elastic waists. I guess the basic question is, when can a kid (boy) handle his own fly? TIA.

trumansmom
02-06-2005, 11:42 PM
FWIW, DS still can't button his pants, and can only do the zipper if I hold the button part for him. That being said, he's not particularly interested in doing it, so I think that's a big part of it. My guess is it depends on what your DS *wants* to do at that point.

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04

cara1
02-07-2005, 08:08 AM
So do you only buy elastic waists, or pants with zippers and just make sure you are available to help him?

trumansmom
02-07-2005, 11:31 AM
We've still got a ways to go on the potty training front, but I generally buy elastic waist pants. (DS has several pair of LE climber pants.) The handful of pants that have zippers also have elastic in the back. Right now, I'm generally with him when he uses the potty.

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04

mominma
02-08-2005, 10:07 AM
For convenience sake, we only buy elastic waist items. My 4 year old usually needs help if he has a button and zipper. He likes being independent, so I find it just easier to buy him the pull up pants. Talbots does make pants that have a zipper and button, but they are super stretchy that they could still slip down without being undone. We usually stick with either sweatpants, Flapdoodle pants or Mulberry brands for pants.

Melissa
DS 9/00
DD 3/03

cara1
02-08-2005, 12:40 PM
Hmmm, I've never tried Flapdoodle or Mulberry. Do they make jeans, too? Where do you buy them?

ETA: Is it called Mulberry or Mulberry Street?

JP4
02-08-2005, 01:07 PM
I have 3 older boys and it took them a long time to learn how to do buttons, snaps and zippers on their pants. I remember how common it was to see little boys coming out of the bathroom in preschool needing help with their pants. I love elastic waist pants and would try to use them as often as possible. I'm a big fan of Healthex pants.

mominma
02-08-2005, 02:03 PM
The brand is Mulberry Bush. I mostly found elastic waist corduroys. The Flapdoodle pants we have are Chinos and Jeans. I bought most of the items at Lord & Taylor (May Dept Store). They also carry both brands at CDW Kids and rugged bear.

Melissa
DS 9/00
DD 3/03