PDA

View Full Version : Help with sizing for a toddler!

anniey
08-30-2005, 12:01 PM
My son is 17 months old and weighs about 27 lbs but is almost 34 inches long. So he is a tall and skinny guy! I am trying to buy all his fall clothes now, as baby #2 is due at the beginning of October. He currently wears either 18-24 m, or 2T, depending on the brand. In Little Me, he is actually a 3T!

I just purchased tons of clothes for him at the Gap Outlet (who can resist $3 long sleeve-t's)and they seem huge! The pants seem enormous on him too! But according to the Gap size chart, it's an appropriate size (length-wise anyway). Will they shrink enough for him to wear later in September, or should I return everything for a smaller size and cross my fingers he doesn't outgrow them? I am trying to avoid shopping in the fall, since it's hard enough taking one shopping, I can;t imagine two! TIA!

ett
08-30-2005, 01:08 PM
DS is 28 lbs and 36.5 inches so he's also tall and skinny. For tops, he wears 2T in Gymboree and 3T in Gap/Old Navy/Land's End. He's in 18-24 month pants for most brands and they are just the right length. I picked up a shirt for DS at the Gap Outlet last month in 3T and it was definitely bigger than the 3T stuff that I've gotten at the regular BabyGap stores, so I think sometimes the outlet sizing can be off. I think you can get away with shirts being a bit big, but I would probably size down on the pants. The problem is not so much the length because you can always roll them up but if the waist is too big, then they'll fall right off. HTH.

smkinc
08-31-2005, 01:30 AM
DS is just about a year older than your son and has been wearing 18-24 mo pants for a year! He was probably close to your DS's size about a year ago. He's currently about 37 inches and 30 lbs.

He has a tiny waist and has grown in a pattern of up and out--so just when I think he's going to outgrow them. His Budda belly shrinks and they somehow keep on fitting.

The only pants that I've gotten to fit well are the Lands End climbers (my favorites) or others with an adjustable waist.

I bought 2T sweats from GYMBO over a year ago in a sale--yes I got them cheap, but they 'ride low'.

I also tried Gap, because I heard they were built for the tall and skinny, but I've found the waist on them to run big as well for this size (2T/3T).

HTH,
Mary

anniey
08-31-2005, 09:40 AM
Thanks so much for your help ladies! Based on your advice,I think I should probably take back the 2T pants and exchange them for a smaller size. I'll probably hang onto the shirts, though, because I can just roll up the sleeves.

I'll definitely try the Land's End Climbers - an adjustable waist sound like just what we need! Thanks again!

smkinc
08-31-2005, 09:11 PM
Just wanted to clarify--that J. wore size 2T Lands end climbers last year (I just bought 2T and they worked fine, never tried 18-24!), but 18-24 in Gymbo and Gap.

Hope you find something that works--Gap and now Gymbo are making adjustable waist pants, so those might also work in a bigger size if you can cinch down the waist and roll-up the legs.

Mary

freedom
11-27-2005, 08:16 PM
My son is on the tall/skinny side too.
Old Navy pants/jeans seem to have work for him. They run a little smaller in the waist than babygap. He's almost 32 months now, and he's still wearing size 18-24 month pants. He wears 2T & 3T shirts from Old Navy, and 2T shirts from Gap.