PDA

View Full Version : To Stride Rite or not to Stride Rite

Fairy
03-31-2006, 02:29 PM
Hi Guys. So, today I bit the bullet and replaced my 18-month-old son's two pairs of DSW Kids shoes that he's been wearing a long time with Stride Rite. However, I paid a crapload of money, and I am just having a hard time wrapping my head around it. His current shoes are Reebok gym shoes and Munchkins brown shoes (which I know is a SR brand) that were the only pair I could fit his fat little foot into at the time. Admittedly, the SR pairs fit him like a dream -- but they were ~$40 a piece. I know the argument for SR is that they really know how to fit your child with the right shoe, etc., and I have no problem paying alot of money for anything if it's truly what's best for my child, and less than the best equals bad for my child. But ... I just feel like there are comparable shoes for less $$ at the DSW's of the world and that his feet will be ok. I dunno.

I'd love to hear what experiences you've had with tot and toddler shoe-buying and what your opinions are. Thank you so much!

alkagift
03-31-2006, 03:34 PM
I always, always, wait until SR has their buy one, get one half off sale. Or buy at the outlet mall, they're just last year's designs and kiddos don't care. You can also sign up for ebates and get cash back and free shipping with various online shoe places.

I have never paid $40 for my son's shoes--you can do it by just sort of planning as you can. You don't always have that choice when it comes to SR's sale times, I know, so online helps there, and the outlet is essential. I also buy dress shoes on ebay for next to nothing--I got barely used Elefantens for $14.

Good luck!

Allison
Mommy to Matthew, who is two and a HALF!

tigeratty
03-31-2006, 10:23 PM
We just bit the bullet and got a first pair. Our son truly has wide feet, and he was a late walker (he is 18m, walked at 16m). He is now running in those shoes. As far as looks they are nothing special, but for his main pair of shoes, I think they are worth it. The fancy schmantzy brands cost even more.

I have several cheaper sandals I will try on him, but they probably won't be wide enough. The sr fisherman sandals are $42. Yikes!

My alternative recommendation is grandma . . .

KBecks
05-09-2006, 11:34 AM
We have one pair of SR shoes that are DS' everyday shoes. He wears them every day when we go out (so a couple hours a day) and they are getting trashed (but that's OK because we're using them so much, I feel I'm getting my money's worth, at least somewhat). We bought them big in January and they still fit, so I've gotten 3 months use out of them so far for the $44.

I also have a pair of Teva sandals I got at SR for like $24 that we wore for vacation in Feb, bought a bit big, and they still fit.

When he outgrows his everyday shoes, we'll get another pair of something either from Stride Rite or a department store that does fittings in the similar way. So I'm going to have 1-2 pairs of pricey shoes at a time.

That is, UNTIL DS is old enough to tell me how the shoes feel. So, I expect by age 3, we'll be able to explore Payless, etc. etc.

I like the Stride Rite Natural Motion System, because they're flexible. Some of the other SR shoes don't impress me that much.

My max for a pair is $45. I won't be buying designer shoes, I've seen pairs for $60-70 out there, which is unreal!

kedss
05-11-2006, 08:41 AM
we just got our DS some First Mate sandals from Stride Rite, they fit him really well, with a little room to grow, and he loves wearing them. they were $30.

swampnurse
05-29-2006, 11:58 PM
try www.shoebuy.com. they carry stride rite, have free shipping and free returns and currently have a 20% off deal if you enter MDAYSALE in the coupon code section.

TracyBee
06-03-2006, 11:20 PM
Let me start off by saying that I am a complete and total penny pincher and I sell shoes for a living (unfortunately not stride rites, though - lol! My daughter only wears stride rites. It's money that is well spent in my opinion. First off, many of the cheaper shoes are man made materials - which do not allow little feet to breath at all. Second, many of the cheaper shoes do not have the cushioning around the ankle that stride rites have. I took back a pair of old navy shoes for this very reason - they were literally making my daughter's feet bleed. She's had leather shoes from Wal-Mart and they just don't compare in quality to Stride Rite.

I have never paid $40.00 for a pair either. If you have a Ross or a Marshall's nearby - they regularly have Stride rites for $14.99. I've even found them as cheap at 4.99 on clearance before. When I see them at either store, I stock up. Ebay is also a great place to check - any day of the week you can find them for $21.00 shipped.

kjezierski
06-07-2006, 09:43 PM
How do you find out when Stride Rites sales are on? I go to the outlet store every once in a while, but it takes over half and hour to get there and they didn't have anythink I liked in DS's size last time I went.

Kathleen
Mommy to Alex
04/29/04

danagee
06-18-2006, 08:39 AM
I have only bought my SRs from www.kidsurplus.com. Their prices are great and the selection isnt so bad.
I haven't had any problems ordering with Kid Surplus. As a matter of fact, I just remembered that they had great customer service once when a pair of SR were out of stock after I placed my order, they were very helpful and quick to respond and the lady even looked for exactly what I wanted.
Dana