PDA

View Full Version : Pull-Ups versus cloth training pants: which work best?

MarinaTwinMom
12-19-2002, 11:07 PM
We're going to start potty training DD and DS soon, but haven't decided whether to use Pull-Ups or some sort of cloth training pants. (I have no idea what brands of training pants are available, or how well they work. We'd want something that doesn't leak!)

What do you use? Is one better than the other? And if you use cloth training pants, what brand are they and where did you get them?

Thanks in advance!

momathome
12-27-2002, 10:45 PM
We found that Pull-ups were not the best thing to use while our daughter was getting the hang of it. They feel exactly like a diaper and did not seem to speed up the training process at all. However, they were good to put on at night for the first couple months of training and also good for long car trips (just to be on the safe side!) What I ended up liking best were Gerber cotton training pants that were thick in the middle (thus making accidents not quite as traumatic) but it would also be uncomfortable enough for my daughter to realize that wetting these pants were not the best way to go. For the record, I did not start using this pants until my daughter was well into the process of potty training (in other words, not just going on the potty when we put her there but when she had reached a point of somewhat regularly telling us when she had to go potty). In the early stages, we did a pull-up/diaper combo depending on how interested she seemed in using the potty that day. It's a frustrating process, but eventually, you will have a darling little potty-trained toddler who will interupt you at the start of every meal to announce that she has to go potty now! Good luck!
-Lauren

momtorc
02-09-2003, 03:44 PM
My son's preschool teachers hate pull ups which they rightly say are just diapers. They swear that they just delay the process. They recommend going staight into underwear and skipping training pants. I actually did this and it worked! Try to pick a time or long weekend when you will have a lot of time to devote to this. Take them to the bathroom very frequently (30 mins or no more than and hour).
With the real underwear they can feel the second they get wet, although you will have some accidents to clean up. Also, the real underwear is much cheaper than the training pants and they can pick out a cute character that they like and do not want to pee on. With my son it was Superman. He really did not want to pee on Superman.
Goodluck.