PDA

View Full Version : potty training, breastfeeding and the 'family bed"

4NaEnoa
02-23-2003, 02:46 AM
OK, for those who might be in the same boat as me, how can I potty train my son who is still breastfeeding-mostly at night in our family bed? I wont go into the details as to why we share the same bed(aside from attachment parenting, it's complicated)He is almost two and a half. He does go on his potty alot of the time-pee only. And likes sitting on his toilet seat-pee only.I already know he shows the signs, it's mostly the night time part I'm concerned with. I really wasnt planning on weaning until he seems ready. Any suggestions would be so helpful. Thanks

TLC1994
03-14-2003, 11:24 AM
I'm not exactly in the same position as you - yet - however we do have our 19-month old daughter sleeping with us and she still nurses (sometimes at night). We're just beginning to potty train her.

I found a book that may be helpful, although I'm not sure how much it deals with potty training specifically. It's called 'Good Nights - The Happy Parents' Guide To The Family Bed (And a Peaceful Night's Sleep)' by Jay Gordon, M.D. and Maria Goodavage. Dr. Gordon also has a website - http://www.drjaygordon.com/ - and there are message boards on that site. Maybe you could find some helpful information there.

Hope that helps!

AugBaby
03-14-2003, 10:27 PM
We're also not exactly in the same position, as our 19-month old dd hasn't really started potty training yet. I just wanted to suggest going to www.mothering.com and checking out their discussion boards. I've found them to be a great source of info with an AP slant. I know that there is one that is specific to the family bed and another for life with a toddler.

Hope you find something that helps and that then you can let those of us following you know what works :-)

4justice
04-19-2003, 09:22 PM
wow, thanks for the suggestions. Being a member of CAPPA, i received a cool email on how potty trainings work best just shy of babies 3rd b-day. And that yes girls train faster than boys, mostly. I have to quit being lazy and get on it, I think my son is ready, and I'm not!
-Maluhia