PDA

View Full Version : Toothbrushing Toddlers

Tripple_E
03-07-2003, 06:48 PM
Hello. Since my now 25 month old daughter has had teeth, I've used the Gerber infant toothbrush and toothpast to clean her teeth 2x daily. I now bought the Toddler version of the Gerber paste. Now, this is the type that is not meant to be spit out. At what age do you reccommend begining to attempt the "spit out" toothpastes? I'm clueless on this. Thanks! :)

brubeck
03-09-2003, 07:43 PM
My ped said that many babies just don't develop the spitting ability until 30 to 36 months. Isn't that funny? You spent months clearing up all the food they didn't like that they dribbled down their chests and now you're told they can't spit. :-) But apparently the natural thing for the child to do is swallow the toothpaste because it tastes good, I think that's why they supposedly can't spit.

Just the other day my 28 month old daughter discovered that if she sat on the potty and drooled out between her legs she could see her spit hit the water. Now she's doing it all the time. Sigh. Either she hit the spitting ability early or she's just drooling in a new way.

In any case, we're still using the Gerber toddler paste with an Oral-B brush.

TrippleE2003
03-10-2003, 02:10 PM
Thank you - that sounds about right, my daughteris also spitting in the potty now! :)