PDA

View Full Version : What on-the-seat potty works best?

lynnie_milano
05-12-2003, 07:44 AM
I'm about ready to start potty training my 23 month old and want to use an seat reducer rather than a "mini potty". I've seen the Baby Bjorn as well as more basic models, cushioned seats, etc. Also, do boys really need splashguards or is that just a nice-to-have feature? I ask because I have a 5 month old boy who will eventually use whatever we buy as well.

Thanks for your comments!

Lynn and Margherita (and Marco)

brubeck
05-12-2003, 10:01 AM
I have found with my daughter that it is whatever her mood dictates that day. We started out with a hard insert that fit over the regular toilet and she used this just fine for awhile. When she started regressing in the training I bought the Sesame Street cushioned seat to get her interested again. Now she will use whichever seat she feels like at the moment and will ask to change them if she wants another! Sometimes she will also just sit straight on the toilet by herself and balance by putting her hands on the seat on either side of her.

I haven't used the splashguards but my friend who is training a boy told me she doesn't use them either. Apparently they cause 'fit' problems sitting on the seat and she had heard reports of boys injuring themselves on them. She is just teaching her son to 'hold it down' as part of the peeing process.

Debra
05-24-2003, 03:04 PM
I have a 23 month old son. We bought the cushie tushie contour seat. I have to say I don't like it, at least not for a boy. No matter what there is always urine all around the underneath of the seat and on the actual toilet seat. When you pick the insert up urine runs of it all over.

mkkrum
06-15-2003, 09:45 AM
I found the Cushie Tushie didn't fit our standard-sized toilet seat AT ALL. It moved considerably when inserted over a regular, run-of-the-mill seat. I am trying a seat I haven't seen mentioned here, the Safety 1st One Step Trainer Seat. (link here: http://www.safety1st.com/product.asp?productID=114) It's a "permanent" installation (you can take it off when the kid is ready to move to a standard seat, but has no adhesive or anything) that brackets under your standard seat, then hinges above it. Adults just flip it up to use the regular seat. I like it because it doesn't have to be put on every time (or taken off everytime!), plus it's slim enough to allow the toilet lid to be closed over it. At our house, that's a cardinal rule! The seat is hard plastic, but lightweight.

My son (30 mos) runs hot and cold on the potty training thing, but we have a lot of playdates with potty training kids whose parents seem to like it at our house. I'll post again when I can make more of a judgment from our experience.

The opening seems kind of far back on the seat and might not work on elongated toilets. Just a thought.

One other word of advice: If possible, always set the seat reducer ON THE POTTY before removing it from the packaging. That way you can take it back without hassle if it doesn't fit (how I determined the CT didn't work for us).

Good luck!

Suegp
08-25-2003, 04:22 PM
I have a four year old son. He has some developmental delays, so we started training a little late. He also has shorter legs, so the step stools dont work well for him. I spend 25.99 on the Primo Freedom Trainer from babyage.com. I was worried it would be a waste of money, but my son LOVES it. It has a little "ladder/Step" thats built in and adjustable for the length of his legs, and it has built in handles, which provides him a sense of security and gives him leverage for pushing. It sits on top of the regular toilet seat, and is super easy to take on and off. I LOVE this seat and am glad I bought it. Sorry I cant explain it better, but you can find it at babyage.com under potty seats. Oh, it doesnt have a splash guard, but I prefer it this way because it makes it easier for my son to get on and off. We have no problem with mess. Good luck.