PDA

View Full Version : Smelly Diaper Genie

emmiem
09-04-2003, 08:41 AM
After more than 2 years of use, our diaper genie really stinks! I have cleaned it out every time we empty it with Top Job or another general cleaner like the directions state, however, it stills smells. Short of buying a new one since we will be potty training soon (hopefully), does anyone have any great solutions?
Emmie
Mom to a 2 and a 13 year old

lukkykatt
09-04-2003, 01:57 PM
That is so weird. I've had ours for 3 years, never washed out the inside of it, and it doesn't smell at all. Maybe you can call them up and ask them about it. Someone posted on the BB Board (probably on Around the House) that they have a lifetime warranty.

Piglet
09-05-2003, 02:23 PM
We spray ours with Lysol whenever it starts to smell. I am not sure what else might work, other than trying the Toddler refills, as they are more scented.

egoldber
09-05-2003, 03:11 PM
I think the toddler refills are also supposed to be thicker, but I have never used them.

HTH,

trumansmom
09-06-2003, 11:13 PM
We use the toddler refills, and even though our Genie still stinks, it's much better. They definitely are thicker and really help keep the odors in. I think they are worth the extra money.

My two cents...
Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/29/01 and EDD 4/23/04!

Tondi G
09-12-2003, 06:15 PM
we put one of those stickups insode the top of the genie...at least it isn't as bed when you open that sucker up.... but PHHHEEEEWWWW!!! They aren't that expensive thankfully.... I think we'll toss this one when DS is potty trained and just get a new one if we have another! we've used lysol it helps a bit....You might try putting a box of baking soda in the bottom????

~Tondi

Plunkie
10-10-2003, 05:02 PM
We're having the very same problem. My husband has banned our Genie to the extra room because he can't stand the smell anymore. Maybe we'll try the Lysol and toddler refills, as suggested. We still have a ways to go before toddler training.

Cheryl, mama to 19 month old

lvp49
10-24-2003, 11:08 AM
I took mine apart and put it in the dishwasher. It worked.

Jackie M
01-26-2004, 06:04 PM
Try calling the manufacturer. Unfortunately I called them after I purchased a new Diaper Genie. They said that they would replace the smelly one that I had but I had already thrown it out.