PDA

View Full Version : At what point do you stop going into the bathroom with them as they use the potty?

mom2kandj
09-08-2003, 03:29 PM
We are in the midst of potty training and DD is really getting it! She's in panties all day and pullups for napping and bedtime. She has used the potty about 8-10 times today(it is still only 1pm here in CA) and is even running by me yelling, "gotta tinkle!" as I sit at the computer. I go in to our powder room with her every time to help, but she has said to me, "Mom you stay out!" twice now. I'm giving her a bit of privacy, but I still go in after a minute or two to make sure all is good. I understand her need for privacy, but she still struggles with pulling up her clothes and washing her hands. She can barely start the tap(after throwing her body on the counter and using a stepstool) and only her fingertips touch the water. She drinks and pees a LOT! I thought it was bad putting her on the potty once an hour. Now it seems like she is running to the potty every 15-30 minutes and pees a good amount each time. She's doing great now, but at what age does everything(coordination mostly) come together and you don't have to worry about always being right beside her in the bathroom at home? Any insight would help! TIA!

Rose
mom 2 katie (33 months)
& Jack (16 months)

lukkykatt
09-08-2003, 04:19 PM
We are at exactly the same point in potty training!

I asked one of my gf's, whose daughter has been trained for a year now, about that same thing. She says that her daughter is pretty much on her own now for #1 (although sometimes she asks for her mother to come in with her) but needs assistance with #2 (the wiping afterwards).

DS is getting so fast that sometimes by the time I get to the bathroom, he is already flushing. I like to supervise at least the washing up afterwards because it is rather unsettling to have a toddler in charge of his own hygiene!

Wishing you continued success!

luvbeinmama
09-09-2003, 02:18 AM
Oh boy, I would just keep checking on her at the door. DS trained early this year (Mar-Apr) and is fine going by himself, but still needs help wiping after #2, and sometimes pulling up his pants (if he keeps them on at all). Usually I supervise the hand washing, too, as that gets really out of hand if I'm not there (imagine water EVERYWHERE!). He only uses the potty 3-5 times per day, though, not like your little fountain!

Good luck!

AdoptChina
09-21-2003, 09:52 AM
For pee, I let Makenna go alone. For poopies, I have to wipe her (she cannot reach her tushie! lol). Makenna is 3 1/2 and does not want anyone in there when she is going potty, but will call us when she is ready to be wiped