PDA

View Full Version : What kind of thermometers are best?

Shannah
10-01-2003, 01:15 AM
I just bought the Toddler Bargains book since we are heading in that direction;-) It doesn't rate thermometers. We have been using a rectal one since he was newborn but now that he is older he is not happy with it at all! I don't blame him one bit! So please tell me what is the best kind for accuracy and one that a toddler would be okay with. Which ones do you like that won't be too too expensive.

Shannah
mommy to Liam 5-10-02

Alice
10-07-2003, 02:29 PM
I have just been searching the boards for info on this same issue--the rectal option is no longer feasible for my 2-year old! My pediatrician's office uses an ear thermometer. Does anyone use one at home & if so, do you have any recommendations? Do they really work in just 1 second & how does their accuracy compare?

kimberley
10-12-2003, 08:04 PM
Hi! We have the Braun ear therm. and we love it! It works quickly and has never failed to be accurate!

luvbeinmama
10-12-2003, 11:24 PM
I also have a Braun (a gift from my SIL). Although I don't vouch for the absolute accuracy, it IS quick and convenient, and it IS accurate enough to determine if you need to call the ped or go to the ER. I do several readings in a row to get a more accurate assessment since they are notoriously a bit inaccurate. The inaccuracy (I think) comes from the difficulty of being sure you are aiming the device at the child's eardrum (not the ear canal wall). BTW, my ped's office uses them too. They do work in about 1 second, and is the option most children would prefer.