PDA

View Full Version : Potty access with mobile baby?

brubeck
10-06-2003, 05:27 PM
Amy is daytime trained now (did I just jinx myself by typing that?) and uses her little portable potty all the time. I would like to get her to use the adult potty/toilet. She does use adult toilets from time to time and I don't think this would be too difficult except for one thing: my son Andrew. He crawls and cruises like a maniac and is just starting to walk. Everytime the bathroom door is open he loves to go in there and pound on the toilet seat and chew the toilet paper. I am afraid of what will happen if I start leaving the bathroom door open regularly (as I would like to do for Amy).

I thought of installing a gate or some such but it would have to be in the small range of complexity where Amy can undo it and Andrew cannot. Also, when she needs to go she NEEDS to go. I don't want to create extra delays for her!

It is just not feasible to constantly lock Andrew up since he is just starting to walk and needs the room to move. How did other people deal with this problem?

luvbeinmama
10-07-2003, 12:08 AM
Wow, I know DS is older than Amy, but I just keep the door to the bathroom closed, and he opens it by himself when he needs to. DD is crawling everywhere and really close to walking, too. You could put a lever handle on the bathroom since Andrew won't figure it out right away and would be easier for Amy. Not sure what else to suggest for you.

mom2kandj
10-07-2003, 09:59 AM
We close the door also and leave it up to DD to open the door when she needs to use the toilet. She also likes "PRIVACY" and will close the door behind her so that her brother doesn't come in and pull out all the TP! As for a lever handle on the door knob, it wouldn't work in our house! :( DS can already reach the round knobs and wiggle them, but not quite open them! YIKES!

Rose
mom 2 katie (34 months)
& Jack (18 months)

brubeck
10-07-2003, 08:17 PM
Yes I'm also thinking a lever wouldn't work. He can already stand up and reach the knob, he could therefore easily reach and pull down on the lever, even by accident! Amy can open doors with regular knobs, but it takes her a few tries. This isn't feasible when she's rushing to the toilet!

At the moment I am moving Amy's potty into the sink area of the bathroom (the toilet is behind a different door) just to get her used to going in there to pee. It's no crisis if Andrew goes in there!

Any other thoughts?

lukkykatt
10-14-2003, 07:11 PM
I don't know if any of these will help, but I keep the door closed, keep the toilet lids down, and the soap pushed back far enough that my 16 month old can't reach it. He too likes to have "fun" in the bathroom!

Alot of times I just have to be in there too, running interference.