PDA

View Full Version : We bought a potty chair!!

mamahill
10-31-2003, 03:39 PM
Ok, so maybe I'm jumping the gun just a bit, but I had to get one. Lately, whenever Ainsleigh starts to poop, she'll wrinkle up her nose, pat the front of her diaper, and say, "Phoo-eee." She has NEVER liked having a loaded diaper (even a week old and she wouldn't sleep with a mess in her pants), and now tells me right away ("Thanks Miss A, but can you wait 2 minutes while I finish this phone call?"). Then a couple days ago we were walking along and she starts patting the front of her diaper and saying, "Phoo-ee." Well, she hadn't pooped, so I'm guessing she was wetting. Anyway, since she's starting to signal, I'm thinking it would be nice to have something her size to sit her on instead of the cavernous toilets that make her feel like she's about to fall in (which, I can say from personal experience, is not fun, especially when your babysitter has to pull you out. stupid earthquake. but I digress).

So far, she thinks it's great. She loves to sit on it. She hasn't gone in it yet, but I just felt like such a mom when I had to go in search of a potty chair. And as we walked into BRU I suddenly thought, "Do they even sell potty chairs here? Or have we outgrown this place all together?" No worries - they had quite a selection!

mom2kandj
10-31-2003, 07:32 PM
They say that potty training/learning is a bit easier if they can learn to signal BM first. DD is about 90% done(pullups at night), but it took a longtime(all summer and now the fall). For the next one, I'm going to watch closer for BM signals and work on that first. Congratulations to Miss A for making even bigger steps into Toddlerhood!

Rose
mom 2 Katie (34 months)
& Jack (18 months)

PS I thought I'd elaborate more on how hard training/learning is, but some of the stories that are told can terrify moms of young toddlers! :)

Melanie
11-03-2003, 03:36 AM
We got Ds a Baby Bjorn potty and he loves sitting on it and reading "once upon a potty," he signals BMs, too, but I think it's b/c we're having a terrible time keeping him from being constipated and it hurts. =( I ask him if he wants to sit on the potty w/out a diaper and so far he keeps saying now. I'm not sure if he's aware of when he's peeing yet, or not, though.

brubeck
11-03-2003, 10:47 AM
Yay Sarah and Ainsleigh! You're in for so much fun. And heartache. Okay, I won't mention the heartache. :)

It is a terrific sign that Ainsleigh is telling you when she goes. That's one of the two mandatory requirements before training can be successful. The other is that she WANTS to train, and I can tell you I spent 6 months railing against that one but Amy only did it when she was good and ready.

It's great that she likes to sit in the chair! You might want to get her a couple of potty books to read while she sits on it. I used to put the chair in front of the TV while Amy watched Sesame Street and she was happy to sit on it.

For books, I recommend The Potty Book (for girls) because it has a lot of good pictures.

mamahill
11-03-2003, 04:36 PM
Thanks - I'll look into that book! She still likes sitting on it (and saying goodnight to it), but hasn't "done" anything. But she's definitely getting more vocal about announcing when she has made a stink (or un-stink). Thanks, dear, but I don't think the people on the other side of Target care.

SeekerMage
11-06-2003, 03:29 AM
One thing that you might try and checking to see about when she does need a diaper change...is it right after she eats...shortly there after? Try pumping her full of liquid at a meal and then waiting a few minutes and having her sit on the potty...bring in a few books and sit and have a party until she goes.....it might take a few trys and you might be in there about fifteen minutes, but the first time is the charm especially if you celebrate and make it fun! Hope this helps!

mamahill
11-06-2003, 06:48 PM
Great idea! I will definitely do that. Yesterday we brought in "Miss Spider's Tea Party" (her fave) and she just giggled as we read it. Thanks for the suggestion - liquid city, here we come!