PDA

View Full Version : Best Potty To Buy

ashleyst12
11-09-2003, 06:19 AM
Help!!!!
Me and my wife decided to get a potty for our 2 year old on her birthday. We ended up getting the Safety 1st musical potty which is awful (the lid falls off all the time and the musical/flush sound it makes is awful). Our neighbors have the other Safety 1st Potty/Step Stool, but we have read so many awful reviews we don't know what to do. Any suggestions for a good potty seat. We have baby #2 arriving in about 3 weeks, don't know what it is yet, so we need to keep in mind that it would be good for both a boy and a girl. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!!!!!!

Rob
Father to Joanna, age 2

nohomama
11-09-2003, 01:23 PM
We have this potty and love it.

http://www.sensationalbeginnings.com/Profiles/itemdy00.asp?UID=2003110912572940&T1=S+2+712&GEN0=&GEN1=&GEN2=&GEN3=&GEN4=&GEN5=&GEN6=&GEN7=&GEN8=&GEN9=1

Lola has no problem getting on and off of it herself, it doesn't take up a lot of room, and it's not at all gaudy. I highly recommend it.

luvbeinmama
11-10-2003, 01:17 AM
I and some friends have this one, and it seems to work just fine for boys & girls. Just remind the boys to point their penis down as the pee guard comes off really easily and folds down when they try to sit, so that was pretty useless.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000056JGW/qid=1068443748/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/104-4755038-3637528?v=glance&s=baby

Karenn
11-10-2003, 10:39 AM
Sarah,
I love the simplicity of this potty! Does it come with a splash guard? I've *heard* that a splash guard is a must have for boys but it seems to be hard to find a decent potty with one.

Rob- the Fields like the Baby Bjorn potty chair. Until I saw Sarah's post it was the one I was looking at.

trumansmom
11-10-2003, 12:03 PM
This is what I just got for Truman as well. The pee shield freaked him out for some reason, so we removed it and just talked a lot about pointing his penis down. The other thing I like about this is that DS would NOT use the chair part. It was apparently kind of confusing to him, so we are using the seat on the toilet and the base as a stool. So far so good! We can barely get him off the darn thing!

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/29/01 and EDD 4/23/04!

emmiem
11-10-2003, 02:15 PM
I have two Baby Bjorn potties. I love them. Easy to clean, not fancy.
Emmie

nohomama
11-10-2003, 11:00 PM
Alas, this potty has no splash guard. I still think it's workable for little boys. As others have suggested, just make sure that Collin knows to point his penis down. No matter what potty you get, there are bound to be mishaps. It's just the nature of potty training.

mamahill
11-11-2003, 01:20 AM
Before actually taking Ainsleigh to try them out IRL, I was sure we'd walk away with the Bjorn. Unfortunately, it was not to be. The built-in guard made it too hard for her to sit down on her own, and she definitely couldn't get by herself. Granted, with time, she might be able to figure it out, but she is short for her age, so I didn't know how much time that would take! I can see where the Bjorn would be better for boys, since so many guards seem so flimsy.

I like the wood one Sarah (nohomama) has, but I've already bought the Graco one (pictured above). Ainsleigh really likes it and I like that the top lifts off so you don't have to slide the cup out (risking jostling fluids). It comes with reward stickers, but so far Ainsleigh doesn't know about those.

Good luck (with your potty chair hunt, and the arrival of #2)!

Karenn
11-14-2003, 11:57 AM
So how did you manage to try them all IRL? Do they have them sitting out at BRU? The BRU is a bit of a drive from here, but I'd do it if I know Colin could try the different potties. All the stores I've been to around here have them all boxed up (and actually don't even carry the Bjorn.)

mamahill
11-14-2003, 06:42 PM
They had "testers" out - kind of like how they have the strollers and bouncy seats out. I just took them off the shelf and had her try to sit on them (or rather, I sat her on them and then said, "Ok, stand up!"). They had the Graco, the Bjorn, My First Potty, a My First Years, an Evenflo and then one other one, I think. Target didn't have testers, and I really wanted her to be able to "try" one (clothes on!lol) since they aren't the kind of thing you can return, once opened. I'd call your BRU and ask if they have potty chairs out for you to look at. And then totally examine it - height, ease of sitting/standing, how the cup comes out, the shield, etc. And Ainsleigh loves to try things out, so she had a great time!

Melanie
11-26-2003, 06:04 PM
We have the Bjorn Potty with the removeable insert for cleaning. It has a splash guard but I think you can flip it around so it's in the back.

Ds loves to sit on it, but has yet to 'use' it.