PDA

View Full Version : potty training while out and about/public toilets

4justice
11-09-2003, 05:43 PM
Does anybody use or have used those folding toilet seats for using public restrooms when out? Do your little ones like them, if so, which ones?

If not, what do you suggest?

I need to get on this since ds has been ready for a while, I am just the lazy one! Training at home is different from being out and running errands. Just thought I'd find out what some other mama's have used for this.
Thanks a bunch!

mom2kandj
11-09-2003, 06:37 PM
I had one that I got from a friend. It was too round for most public toilets and therefore didn't fit on elongated seats well.

To cut down on public toilet use, we opted for the potty seat in the back of the SUV. Yes, I've gotten weird looks, but I've also gotten lots of comments that other people have done it too! The best tip was to have sandwich baggies and maxipads next to the potty for easy clean up! HTH!

Rose
mom 2 Katie (34 months)
& Jack (18 months)

brubeck
11-09-2003, 09:19 PM
We have the potty in the car, but I also try to make use of public restrooms when we are out. Basically I put Amy on the toilet and hold her so she doesn't fall in .She's comfy using the adult toilet at home so that helps. She has learned how to put her hands on the seat and brace herself while she goes.

Of course this is not so sanitary, but then I make sure she washes her hands afterwards.

Jeanmick
11-09-2003, 10:37 PM
I also have one of those foldable potty seats. I agree that it doesn't fit perfectly on those elongated public toilets, but my DD has no problem using the seat. I usually put a couple of paper toilet seat covers on the toilet, put the potty seat on top, then place her on top of the potty seat. She seems to do just fine. I also have a portable potty chair in our van, but for some reason my DD prefers to potty in the restroom. Go figure...it may be because I never used a portable potty chair for her. She's used the big toilet at home from day one.

Just my two cents,