PDA

View Full Version : big bed first or potty first?

AmyE
01-02-2004, 10:18 PM
Okay, I'm really loaded with questions here! :) My ds seems to be interested in transitioning to BOTH the big bed and the potty! Someone told me I shouldn't do them at the same time, but how else am I going to do it!?

Did everyone here go to a big bed before attempting potty training?

AmyE

luvbeinmama
01-03-2004, 02:10 AM
If he is really interested in doing both at the same time, I don't see anything wrong with trying, anyway. I switched DS to his toddler bed way before he potty trained, but it had more to do with the impending arrival of DD than anything else. He wasn't ready to potty train before she came, and we ended up training him about 4-5 months after she arrived. If DD hadn't come, he probably would still have been in the crib when he trained (he never did climb out). I think it IS better to switch beds first if you are not going to do them together, though. Simply because you will want him to be able to get up in the middle of the night and go to the bathroom if he has to pee.

brubeck
01-03-2004, 11:31 AM
We did the same as luvbeinmama by switiching our daughter to a big girl bed long before potty training, but that was for non-potty-related issues. My neighbor completely potty trained her daughter (daytime) and the girl is still in a crib! (although they are transitioning her by not raising the side at night)

I think it's okay to try both at once if he's interested, but if he resists then give up one of them.

AmyE
01-03-2004, 09:38 PM
Thanks guys! Ds is almost 2 1/2 and has never tried to climb out of his crib, in fact he LOVES his bed....but here lately after getting a book about big beds he has been asking for a big boy bed. I think we will either lower the side of the crib or start with a twin mattress on the floor and then go shopping! :)

Thanks for the input!
AmyE

micheleb
01-08-2004, 05:50 PM
I transferred my kids to a big bed at 18-19 months! Definitely before even thinking about potty training. Surprisingly, they don't try to get out of bed either. I put the big bed in their room and gave them the option of where they wanted to sleep. Both chose the big bed and have slept in it ever since. I have a 2 1/2 year old and 1 1/2 year old.