PDA

View Full Version : Trouble making a "poopy" in the potty

mominma
01-26-2004, 12:12 PM
My son has been pretty much potty trained since the holidays. He wears underwear evreyday and hardly ever has an accident. He potty trained standing up, but lately he has refused to sit on the potty. He goes days without making a movement. He says it hurts and he does not want to go. Over the past few weeks, we have been giving him more foods richer in fiber, prune juice, etc. We have tried M.O.M. and one night we went the mineral oil route because it had been 4 days. Our other issue, is we still put him in a pull-up at night and when he will finally go, he wants a pull up on.

I was wondering if anyone has dealt with these issues and how you got past them.

Thanks,

Melissa
DS 9/00
DD 3/03

sweetbasil
02-18-2004, 04:42 AM
We're right there with ya, Melissa. Did the mineral oil trick work? I've heard it moves things along more easily- I'm just afraid DS won't be near a toilet when it happens!

DS#1 is in big boy underwear and will potty almost always without prompting (unless he's engrossed in serious playtime or something, and then needs a reminder). But poop is a whole other thing.

Last night he finally went (after 4 days- ugh) in the toilet, and we had a big ol party. We talked about how it felt- "Did it hurt, honey?" To which he replied in a grown-up little way, "Well of course not, mom!" But when his daddy got home from work, he said, "I went poop in the toilet, dad, but when I got ready for bed, I went again in my diaper." I thought he was teasing us, but nope- there it was in his overnight diaper. Nice.

Keep us informed about how things are going- our boys are pretty close in age- maybe we're almost done with diapers for our older kids. Diapering two isn't at the top of my favorite things list!

AngelaS
02-18-2004, 08:57 AM
Okay, here's my slightly off the wall, puppy poopy training tip.... :D This worked for us and several of my friends that I recommended it too...

You know how, when you have a puppy, you feed them, then wait a few minutes, take them outside and they run all around and then suddenly squat and poop? That's the concept I gleaned this idea from.

Adrienne generally pooped after supper, so that's when we used this technique. Adjust it to your child's 'regularly scheduled daily' time. :D

After supper, I would take A outside to play. I would run with her and chase her all over the yard. When she had to stop running 'cause she was about to poop in her pants and was fighting to hold it back, I'd scoop her up and run for the house, telling her that as soon as she went poopy in the potty, we'd go back outside. :D I'd hurry her to the potty and encourage her to poop and then happy dance when she did and we'd go back outside. :D

We had to do this about 3 or 4 days in a row. She was a child who'd previously only been going about every 4 or 5 days and then it would HURT and she'd cry and then REALLY not want to go the next time. So...the key is to feed them lots of fiber (peanut butter on whole wheat bagels was my pediatricians tip), lots of water and then to run them around to get those bowels moving. :D

Once you get sucess a few days in a row, then the 4th or 5th day, encourage them to poop before your run. :D If they get stopped up again, then resume the puppy training for a few days. :D

Melanie
02-19-2004, 01:48 AM
Are you avoiding bananas & cheese? They can cause hard/painful stools.

mominma
02-23-2004, 10:52 AM
Well, here we are a few weeks later and things are improving. DS is now not holding it in for days. He is starting to go about 50% of the time on the potty. Other times, he carefully plans things and goes either after the pull up goes on at night or right before he is changed in the morning.

But at least he is not holding it for days and acting lethargic and uncomfortable. The mineral oil definitely does the trick, but it is not very pleasant. My DH was not too happy that I gave it to him and went out about an hour later. It made my son very gassy! The whole house had a bad smell from him and he went "#2" at least 6 times! So I really tried not to use it again!

Yes our kids are close in age. Good luck to you with your DS. Potty Training is definitely not a fun stage!

Melissa
DS 9/00
DD 3/03

mominma
02-23-2004, 10:54 AM
Yes, I tried avoiding all the starchy stuff and tried to add more fiber. It was tough dealing with my picky eater, but things are improving! I think it has helped that another boy in his home-daycare is being potty trained and he watches him go with no problem and gets praised.

Melissa
DS 9/00
DD 3/03